'Spartacus' Star Andy Whitfield

Dead at 39

9/12/2011 5:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_andy_whitfield_getty_bn
Andy Whitfield -- who left the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma -- died today in Sydney, Australia. He was 39.

Whitfield's wife issued a statement, saying her husband died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Chris Albrecht, President and CEO of Starz (which aired "Spartacus"), released a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

0912_andy_whitfield_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

teye tutum

iAM VERY SAD TO HEAR THIS NEWS.MAY HIS SOUL REST IN A PERFECT PEACE

enid

RIP! I Loved The spartacus show. My condolences

kelsey

my mom was freaking out when she heared he died she tought he had left the show to be in a movie she doesnt even want to watch the show anymore r.i.p we love you andy

geeksquad

Damn....I just watched the premiere of the new season and thought wtf, this isn't the same Spartacus. What a great fan I am not to know he passed away. He made Spartacus come to life, what a fantastic actor. I will pray for his family. RIP Andy Whitfield. God Bless.

Martin

When i got into the blood and sand serie's, I saw him and tought he is the perfect actor for this role, he makes you feel his pain and everything he feels.
Rest in Peace

STEVEN

IT IS A REAL TRAGEDY TO LOSE A GREAT MAN LIKE ANDY SPARTACUS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME WITHOUT HIM MY DEEPEST CONDOLENCES TO ALL HIS FRIENDS AND FAMILY AND MAY HE LIVE IN HEAVEN FOREVER AND EVER/STEVE

Lisa Taylor

I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to pay my respects. Spartacus (as my family will always remember him as) will be miss greatly. My father "Walter Green" passed away May 2010 with "Non-Hogkins Lymphoma" as well. I would love to share my thoughts & concerns with his family. My father was thankfully blessed with 17 years with this horrible disease, why wasn't Andy's???? God has his reasons for taken our loved ones, but I know it is hard to except. MY GREATEST SYMPATHY TO HIS FAMILY. YOU ARE ALL IN OUR PRAYERS EVERY DAY. FROM: A LOVED FAN OF ANDY'S & HIS FAMILY.

sittie shajani

i love you andy whitfield, my spartacus

Previous 15 Comments | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14