'Spartacus' Star Andy Whitfield

Dead at 39

9/12/2011 5:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_andy_whitfield_getty_bn
Andy Whitfield -- who left the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma -- died today in Sydney, Australia. He was 39.

Whitfield's wife issued a statement, saying her husband died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Chris Albrecht, President and CEO of Starz (which aired "Spartacus"), released a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

0912_andy_whitfield_footer

andyconda

hope you find your heaven... you will be missed..

MP

What a shame. I didn'*****ch his show, but I knew how much his fans were pulling for him. Very sad news.

fran

this is really sad..only 39 RIP Andy....condolences to his family

Christina

I am so sad. My deepest sympathies to his family. He was a great actor and a very attractive man.

lilly vivona

A beautiful soul taken from us way too soon. Prayers to your family and loved one's are in abundance.Rest in Peace sweet Andy.

bring back recent posts

...dam I hate cancer..poor guy..so young..his family must be suffering so badly right now...I'm glad his suffering has ended though...so not fair!

CoolKid

So sad.. rest in peace. What a shame.. so young and talented.

Loxi

My heart just sank reading this sad news. A great loss.

Johnny Matook

God saw you getting tired and a cure was not to be.So He put His arms around you and whispered “come to me.” With tearful eyes we watched you, and saw you pass away. Although we loved you dearly, we could not make you stay. A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands at rest.God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best.

M.T.

I have to say it, chemo kills, RIP Andy I'm so sorry you had to leave this world that way, it wasn't your time.

GEL

noel: 3 hours ago
nobody knows who this poor man is. stop with the sensationlism. It just makes your day when someone dies, doesn't it.
......................................

noel, are you serious? No one knows who Andy Whitfield is (or unfortunately now, was?) Millions know who this man is from his portrayal of Spartacus in the Starz series Spartacus Blood & Sand...look it up.

It's horrible to watch someone go through what he suffered with his illness my heart goes out to his friends and loved ones who must deal with his loss.

soulflower

R.I.P.

happilywed

One has to wonder whether all the steroids he took to get that physique for TV caused or aggravated his cancer. If I were his widow, I would certainly be asking some serious questions about that.

Amandanonymous

I don't know who he is, but it's always sad to see someone so young pass away.

LLM

Such a young, handsome and talented man. Such a great loss. Rest in peace.