'Spartacus' Star Andy Whitfield

Dead at 39

9/12/2011 5:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_andy_whitfield_getty_bn
Andy Whitfield -- who left the show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" after he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma -- died today in Sydney, Australia. He was 39.

Whitfield's wife issued a statement, saying her husband died on a "sunny Sydney morning" in the "arms of his loving wife."

Chris Albrecht, President and CEO of Starz (which aired "Spartacus"), released a statement saying, "We are deeply saddened by the loss of our dear friend and colleague, Andy Whitfield. We were fortunate to have worked with Andy in 'Spartacus' and came to know that the man who played a champion on-screen was also a champion in his own life."

0912_andy_whitfield_footer

siennagold

That is so sad. I thought he'd make it through. RIP Andy. My thoughts and prayers to his wife and family.

Kamatchi Jeyaraj

Our heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family of young actor.RIP

Keith

So very tragic for someone to die so young. Not familiar with his work but he was obviously a good looking guy with a lot of potential.

JulieN AZ

That is so sad. Israeli scientists are working on a cancer cure that looks very promising. Too bad it wasn't available (or any others that worked). Way too young to die, and what deep sadness for his family. Was hoping he would be back on Spartacus as he was gorgeous to look at!

Leader of the ignorant masses

That is pretty sad. Not just because that was a great show but because it is sad when any person dies young and leaves people behind.

John van Zon

Damn,so sorry to hear it! My condolences to the family of Andy Whitfield! I was hoping the cancer would go away beceause you are my hero on the screen dude and that I will never forget! Greetz from Holland, and hope you are in a lovely place.....

Rebecca

This makes me so sad :( He was so incredibly full of life in the show, it's hard to believe the spark has gone from him. I hope he is free of pain now.

Kiwi

Dear TMZ. Check your facts, Andy was 37

micca

I can't believe it...it's devastating news.....SO SAD.....

Andry simpson

Hmmmm in agree wd uper coments.

Dave Van Damme

RIP
Dave
Flanders

shawlz

Rest in perfect peace mai hero..i love u!

Chris Changco

Life is really short. Sad. My condolences to the Whitfield family.

Michelle

He inspired me to race in the Spartan warrior races and the Warrior Dash races. I have been through alot and i looked up to him as a big brother that there was hope at the end of a dark tunnel. Now may he rest in peace in the light, with no pain, no suffering. And may my thoughts and prayers be with his family and friends.

Patrik Meyer

Andy Whitfild was a very fine actor with an amazing future adead of him in the many years to come. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.