Cliff Robertson

Uncle Ben in 'Spider-Man' Movies

Dead at 88

9/11/2011 5:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0911_Cliff_Robertson_getty_2
Cliff Robertson, who won an Oscar in 1968 and became known to modern audiences for his roll as Uncle Ben in the "Spider-Man" movies, died yesterday. He was 88.

Robertson famously portrayed John F. Kennedy in the movie "PT-109," the first movie to portray a sitting president.

He won the Academy Award for Best Actor in 1968 for his portrayal of a mentally disabled man in the movie "Charly."

Robertson was a certified pilot and was in the air and piloting a private plane over New York City on the morning of September 11, 2001.

jim

Meet him , Cliff was the nices person you would ever want to meet , kind as the day is long . I was a pleasure . We will miss one of are great actors and people.

Jim

fran

one of my all time favorite actors in the world. RIP Cliff. condolences to his daughters and friends

CRAZYGIRL

GOD BLESS, THE BIG KAHUNA, IN HEAVEN..
RIP.

TargetDriver

Don't trust your spell-check:
"...for his roll as Uncle Ben..."
The word you want is "role."

michaelmiss

DON'T FORGET CLIFF ROBERTSON FLEW IN MEDICAL SUPPLIES IN 1969 IN THE BIAFRA RELIEF.

Stupidity2damnHigh

Damn. I was jus*****ching PT 109 on the Military channel Friday night. And how the hell all this time I've watched Spiderman, never read the credits, and didn't recognize that was him.

RIP

Charles

I'm sorry that Mr. Robinson has died. I watch PT109 last night on the Military Channel. Kennedy was a hero. Should have received a Silver Star. He was excellent as Charly. I will miss him. I did meet him once a long time ago. Goodbye Cliff.

G G

HE WAS SOOOO HANDSOME. EVERYONE WAS IN LOVE WITH HIM WHEN HE PLAYED JFK IN PT109 BACK IN THE 60'S. I REMEMBER HIM BEST FOR A ROLL HE SHOULD HAVE WON AN OSCAR FOR, PICNIC WITH WILLIAM HOLDEN.HE SHOULD HAVE WON BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR.HE WAS ALSO NOTABLE FOR THE CANIDATE WITH HENRY FONDA.ANOTHER ONE OF THE STARS FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD HAS LEFT US. THANKS FOR THE MEMEORIES CLIFF.MAY HE R I P

openyun

The Big Kahuna will always have a place in my heart. He was so cool! My condolences to his family. Rest in peace Mr. Robertson.

Ghost Rider

Maybe they will finally release Charly, he deserved the award for that performance. RIP

OooooNooo!

Great actor, great human being. . . rare in Holly-weird today.

CloBird

Rest in peace.

Raejean

I wondered when TMZ would finally get around to reporting his passing. Not at all curious that you credited him with his most recent work in Spiderman, as if that final turn was the only relevant one or the primary reason he was known throughout the world.

A good actor with a long list of TV playhouse drama credits as well as distinguished film work, and quite a hunk in his youth. More importantly, another one of the last real stars (priceless) rather than just another reality celeb du jour (dime a dozen).

Rest in peace, Mr. Robertson. You were a class act.

KnuckleDragger

RIP "Uncle" Ben.

Barb

Didn't know he was that old! I really loved his movie "Charlie," one of my very favorites. RIP.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments