« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Serena Williams

Cited For Verbal Abuse

9/12/2011 9:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0912_sarenas_launch
Serena Williams has been cited for verbally abusing the ref during her U.S. Open match Sunday.

Now the US Open referee is investigating Serena Williams for her outburst -- and, worst case scenario, she could be banned from future tournaments.

Serena -- who lost against Samantha Stosur in straight sets -- flew off the handle during the match ... blasting the ref over a call, shouting, "If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way because you're out of control. You're a hater and you're unattractive inside. Who would do such a thing? Wow."

The referee will pass along the findings of the investigation to the Tournament Grand Slam Committee, which will decide what discipline, if any, is appropriate.

It's interesting ... Serena's outburst pales in comparison to tennis legend John McEnroe.  True enough, McEnroe has been fined and suspended for his outbursts, but they almost seem on another level.
  0912_mcnroe_LAUNCH

update_bar
11:54 AM: US Open referee Brian Earley just fined Serena $2,000 for the outburst -- but that's a drop in the bucket ... because she earned a grand total of $1.4 MILLION during the tournament.

According to the US Tennis Association, "Williams' conduct ... does not rise to the level of a major offense."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15

CS Ahrens

Serena Williams' contributions to women's pro tennis and to American sports are noteworthy. Her focus and success at developing skill, fitness, and perserverance--expressions of a true champion--surely need recognition and appreciation rather than being used as fodder for diminishment and discouragement. Good-luck to Ms. Williams in future endeavors and tournaments.

krosenfield

The issue here is not whether the refs call was justified or not, it's Serena's reaction to the call. She immediately assumed that the ref motivations were personal and went on the attack. Serena is her own worst enemy. When she behaves this way she turns off her supporters and gives her her haters ammunition.

When the Williams sisters came to the scene I was a big fan. I didn't think of them as great black tennis players but just great tennis players. I saw Serena win her first US Open live in 1999. I followed Serena and her sisters throughout there professional careers.

When Serena threatened the line judge in 2009 I was completely turned off. I would have felt the same way if she were white. It was not her color but her actions that disgusted me.

This year, believing that Serena learned her lesson and payed the price of her actions I decided to give her another chance. I went to the US Open and saw Serena beat Pavlyuchenkova. It was a great match. Going into the final I was rooting for Serena.

Then came her unprofessional rant after the ref call. It was not the same kind of rant that McEnroe was known for. He didn't make it personal and threatening as Serena did. I was completely turned of****ain. I will not be giving Serena another chance.

Serena should be severely penalized for her actions. But the USTA does not have the balls as they do not want to appear racist. The $2000 fine is a joke. They need to ban her from the US Open and fine her substantially more. If they don't I will lose all respect for the USTA.

The problem is that when a white person expresses a negative opinion of a black person and it is justified often is falsely viewed as racist. If I were racist, I would never have been a Williams fan in the first place.

The stand I am taking is NOT a racist one. It is a right vs. wrong one. And Serena was very very wrong.

Keith

Prophet

She is butt ugly and not a women by any stretch of the imagination. She needs to be in the Men's Tennis league.

bobby

its a discrimination thing. nothing was ever said about mcenroe actuations. why willams have to be an example, when macenroe should have

Olufemi Emmanuel

very interesting website.will be a regular reader.thannks.

Kilroy

Is the referee a man?!

Kilroy

Is the Referee A MAN, A WOMAN, OR WHAT?! DOGFACE...LOL!

Previous 15 Comments | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15