Anderson Cooper

Chokes Up

Over Brother's Suicide

9/19/2011 1:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0919_anderson_cooper_mom_interview_2

Anderson Cooper
is known for his fearlessness, especially when it comes to war zones. But it was a chat with his mom in a NYC studio that made him dissolve in tears.

In an interview for his new syndicated talk show, socialite and 80s jeans designer Gloria Vanderbilt told Anderson ... after his brother Carter leaped off a 14-story balcony more than two decades ago, she almost followed him.  What stopped her was Anderson.

kanko

Oh, almost forgot, he's embellishing his familial strife for ratings. If you can't see that, I don't know what to say.

paru

She is a special beautiful woman. Anderson should be proud to have a mother like her. Maybe credit for her good looks should be to her black male lover of several decades. http://ratevin.com/story.php?title=anderson-cooper-hold-back-tears-over-brothers-suicide#.Tng7B-eoYXE.twitter

gladyskravitz

WTF is wrong with you people? The negative comments on here are appalling.
Have you lost all sense of compassion entirely? Wow.

Robo

I imagine events such as his brother's suicide had a major impact is causing Anderson Cooper to be so screwed up and liberal.

She's baaaack

By all accounts Anderson Cooper's brother suffered from extreme depression. My god, he jumped out the window as Anderson came into the room. Say what you will about him, but Anderson could have skated his way through life but he works, and he works hard, many times putting himself in danger to provide us information on the human condition in some god forsaken areas of the world. Bravo Anderson. You and your mother have both done stellar jobs in the face of adversity that would have brought a lesser person to the ground.

NewMomo

What does Andersons political view have to do with this story? Im all about critizing what/who deserves to be critized but Anderson has done nothing but good things!!!! Way to go Anderson in all you've done and continue to do..

Butterfly

DEAR ANDERSON COOPER, unfortunately, I was unaware of the mentioned radio program featuring you and your mother. My deepest sympathy to you, your mother, your entire family, on the tragic and unexpected loss of your beloved brother. God forbid, it is unimaginable I should outlive my cherished sons. It is an emotion no parent is ever prepared to experience regardless of their child's age and cir****tances. I know you can never erase the picture from your heart, but, what I do know is, God will ease the heavy hurt you and your Mom have been carrying for all these many years. Have Faith, I Promise, it Will happen.

Buffers

That is SO sad, I had not heard about that.

dave

Cooper's a narcissistic, liberal *** - his show will go belly up very soon.

Kowny Krush

So his brother committed suicide in their presence... I suspect A or his mother did NOT do everything in their power to help C BEFORE that happened. Perhaps A was too busy exploring his sexuality, and she was spending her fortune faster than her bookkeeper could dole it out... to worry about someone battling depression. Oh well.

bad city

Wow . . . . I did not know that his mom is Gloria Vanderbuil­t. No wonder - he comes from a iconic family, super rich and classy. Cooper is also so funny. I just love his humor.

Anderson Cooper is one journalist I can trust. He is also very famous in China. I had my lap tap on, after a conference and many of Chinese counterpar­ts is quite familiar with his show, I was surprise ! They also have the same impression - clean and classy ! - BAD CITY

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2