"The X Factor"

Half the Show Of "Idol"

9/22/2011 8:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0922_xfactor-BN
The big "X Factor" premiere last night fell way short of Simon Cowell's expectations -- earning just over half the ratings "American Idol" got during its premiere in January.

Simon's new show averaged an 8.7 rating, while the tenth season premiere of "Idol" pulled in a 16.4 -- and in last night's head-to-head ... "Modern Family" and "Criminal Minds" won out.

Simon called in to TMZ Live yesterday -- telling us, he desperately wanted to beat out his alma mater in the ratings department ... but based on last night's performance, that's gonna be an uphill battle.

To be fair -- the first ever episode of "American Idol" only scored a 6.1 in 2002 ... and has since had years to build a loyal audience. Then again, singing competitions were new back then.

0922_factor_footer

marie

I loved X Factor!!! The talent blew AI out of the water!!! Nicole was a little annoying and mousie but the rest was great, I'm a fan:)

Donna

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA!

lts

It was predictable and frankly, dull. It was extremely over-hyped, and was nothing more than a cross between AI and AGT. Just an also-ran. Sorry Simon, but you should have stayed at Idol. As for Abdul...meh.

MGM

The AUDIO was absolutely horrible. It sounded like they were adding most of the clapping and cheering because the people in the background were not cheering when a big roar would go up.

chucklehead

i think simon is trying to kill the music industry. it is a gloified karaoke competition. there is nothing original or fresh with this crap. please make it go away!

Cheryl A.

Just like Idol they are full of drama. Did Paula REALLY vomit after the man exposed himself? At her age I know she has seen a few Wee-nis's in her time.

Cathy J

Why wasn't the perv arrested right there and then? This should have been edited out… and I blame the producers and Simon C for allowing this. There were children in that audience and the producers allowed this to happen...shameful. I watched (recorded) last night’s show and have to say the kid that recently got out of rehab was amazing. However, he will be entering a business that is nothing BUT drugs and alcohol. I wanted to give the X Factor a try but after last night's fiasco, (based on the perv) I'll pass.

moxie

sloppy seconds.

charley

Thanks....I wanted to watch but there was another show on that i like at the same time...The Middle and Modern Family and I chose to watch my favorites...and with these reviews, I will continue to watch The Middle and Modern Family...they are more entertaining!

Smooch

Am I the only one who shuddered at the acts the judges raved over?? Everyone was out of tune...everyone. And most were screaming not singing. Please tell me they simply couldn't hear their music.

karlew

When did they cast the woman who played witchy poo on HR Puff n Stuff to judge this thing? Someone should have told her she didn't need her make up. I think it was probably her face that scared off the viewers. And why is she calling herself Nicole now?

TNT

Enough with having a segment that focuses on one contestant for about 15 minutes. It started with a 13 year old girl who we all know isn't going to win. The show bogged down many times last night. Then again I'm only watching to see the trainwrecks. I could care less about the actual good singers.

Tracy

I will give this show my loyalty since what happened with Paula and I love Simon. Soo I will watch evry week and hopefully it will pick up

Dookie

I love Nicole as a singer but she did not jive with me as a judge. Paula and Nicole totally cancelled each other out. They are both too goofy and just gave the panel and show a cheesy feel. I totally preferred Cheryl Cole over both Paula/Nicole. Cheryl actually balanced out Paula who behaves like a 10 year old. LA Reid and Cheryl gave the show a bit of a more sophisticated feel. Simon should have never brought Paula back. Their chemistry is no longer there. She is way too immature and just annoying.

Simon you so f'ed up by firing Cheryl. She was beautiful and oozed class.

RENA

If it was an hour it would have beat Idol's