Black Eyed Peas

Sorry, We're OUT of the

MJ Tribute Concert

10/5/2011 7:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Black Eyed Peas

The Black Eyed Peas have PULLED OUT of Saturday's big Michael Jackson Tribute Concert -- after promoters claim they have suddenly become "unable to perform."

The details are still unclear -- but the promoters just released a statement saying, "Due to unavoidable circumstances, the Black Eyed Peas will be unable to perform at this Saturday’s Michael Forever event."

Chris Hunt, the CEO of Global Live Events -- the company behind the show -- claims the show will still feature several other "earth shattering artists" ... such as Christina Aguilera and Cee-Lo Green.

TMZ reached out to a rep for the Peas ... who confirmed the group is out of the show, but wouldn't expand on the reason behind the decision.

fleiter

They came to the stark realization that their music sucks a$$.

Mazor

That's a shame. I think it's really important that as many artists as possible show up to praise and celebrate drug addiction and pedophilia.

craig

I THINK THAT THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD THESE DAYS IS A HOLLYWOOD DRUG DEALER.THEY MAKE MORE MONEY THAN THE CELEBS,TAX FREE AND THEY NO EXACTLY WHATS UP WITH ALL THESE CRAZY LUNATIC CELEBS LIVEING IN FANTASY LAND

charley

who really gives a phk...your music is repetative anyways.....its all crap to begin with!

bunny

Maybe they are splitting up or Fergie got her period.

check yourself

LaTrasha BS AS USUAL. I'm betting they never had the Black Eyed Peas committed to do the tribute, to begin with. Will-I-Am was the ONLY one, back when "Micheal" was getting ready to be released that said hell to the no when asked to participate - his reasoning being LOYALTY AND HONOR TO MJ. That he WOULD NOT use his affiliation with MJ for exploitation and profit as Akon et al were doing.

I'm betting LaTrasha asked Black Eyed Peas and as per her usual BS TRASHY SELF and her delusions she decided to shout out they'd be there when in actuality they hadn't heard back from them yet, but she was desperate to "SELL".

Will-I-Am/Black Eyed Peas need to SUE this b*tch for her BS, because quite frankly this FAKE AZZ ANNOUNCEMENT that they would be there could very much hurt THEIR image in a big way via their fans that are also MJ fans.

As I said back when the MESS of "Micheal" and voice authentication et al was all over the place: If you want to KNOW what an authentic MJ remix is about (for comparison purposes to show you WHY "Micheal" was scamming fans BS!) then LISTEN to his remix of "PYT" WITH Will-I-Am they did together in '08, K.

Will-I-Am would NEVER concede to doing this TO MJ. That's EXACTLY what this BULLCHIT "tribute" is about = The J Clan doing this TO MJ, not FOR MJ OR for his fans, and charities.

Ticket buyers of this "tribute": YOU'VE. BEEN. HAD.

Can't say you weren't warned, so no sympathy here!

I'm starting to hear plenty of MJ fans starting to go AGAINST PP (not Blanket). LOVE MJ, but are now instead of worrying about PP, and sympathizing with them (still worried about Blanket, and I agree with that)... are now beginning to hold THEM accountable for THEIR decisions concerning 'boycotting' their father's trial, participating in this 'tribute' and all around PR chit with various "outings with G'Ma" charity exposure of minimal donations (comparatively)... and now an additional TRUST acct for them thru this "tribute"?? ... and them there with bells on and not HERE for their father's trial.......

Yeah.... I def am beginning to agree with it, myself. Yes PP are still 'just kids', but they aren't BABIES with no voices. Hell, look at Paris on Twitter all obsessed with online posers? Wtf?

Ugh. Blanket. Breaks my heart. HE, as he has from Day 1 of MJ's passing, I am worried and heartsick about. PP? Eh, not so much, anymore. I truly believe MJ would be appalled, at the DISrespect they show him. Just spinning in his grave that his two eldest would fall in line so readily with LaToya/JClan, doing HIM harm - let alone themselves.

Then again, perfectly well knowing his fam, he would die all over again for the decision he made in having KJ be their guardian.... It's one of the reasons that still remain to this day as to speculation of the will being fake. Don't KNOW if it is or not, but com'on... as much control has of KJ, seems to the growing majority that LaToya does also and BOTH of them are the MAIN characters in PPB's lives. It's LaToya that Paris, on Twitter, that 'verifies' Paris's acct, after all.

Azzkicker

The black eyed peas are a derivative, pathetic lounge act. They're worthless...

Anna V for Vendetta

This Tribute concert started off on the wrong foot with a very
convoluted ticket pricing. This is another Tribute that's taking a shot at capitalizing on Michael Jackson' s death without any shame. The trial is still going on, and as a diehard fan I'd say Justice before profits.
What's the matter with the Jackson Family? They have become a runaway train, how can we trust them at this point? Joe Jackson has recently teamed up with a professional crook Julian Rouas to exploit Michael' s image with a new line of cheesy perfumes. Please Read:

Marie

I heard that Beyonce pulled out of that concert weeks ago but Katherine and Michael Jackson's kids had to beg her to come back.

charley

just goes to show you...there is only one motown act in there........and thats smokey.......where is lionel....diana.....stevie......now these are earth *******.t.e.r.i.n.g. and great entertainers.....the line up here sucks big time.......those that i mentioned are not performing cause they know the money grubbbing jacksons will pocket all that money!

TSIG

Jackson tribute: the tears and the tribulation
(ARTICLE FROM THE TELEGRAPH IN UK)

A star-studded concert in memory of the King of Pop, due to take place in Cardiff this weekend, has become overshadowed by controversy. Neil McCormick reports.

By Neil McCormick
5:38PM BST 05 Oct 2011

Guitarist Tommy Organ knows exactly where he was when he heard news of Michael Jackson’s death: on his way to rehearse with Jackson. “I didn’t believe it,” says Organ. “I kept saying, 'The media is just picking at him again.’ I kept getting phone calls, and I was saying, 'Let me go down to rehearsal because no one’s called me to say it’s cancelled.’ Then I walked into the Staples Centre, my amp was off, and the lights were half-way turned down on stage, and I knew…”

And Organ, a big, muscular black man, starts sobbing, tears running down beneath his sunglasses.

“The day before he was on stage, dancing and singing. Next day, he was gone.”

This week, in a vast rehearsal space in west London, a tightly drilled band of LA session musicians have been running through Jackson’*****s. Organ is on guitar, snaking out the riff to Thriller, sound booming from huge speakers suspended from the roof of a room of aircraft-hanger proportions, while spotlights criss-cross the floor.

Deep into preparations for Saturday’s Michael Forever tribute concert at the Cardiff Millennium Stadium, the band shift into a shimmering, supple Human Nature, while musical director Kevin Dorsey listens intently. On an area marked out in front of the raised stage platform, a spotlight comes to rest on a microphone set up in front of a chrome-and-leather bar stool. No one sits at it.

“It’s the strangest feeling being on this stage,” says Dorsey, who worked as a backing vocalist for Jackson for more than 20 years, becoming a close musical collaborator and friend. “I’ve done hundreds of shows over the years with Mike, and I’m so used to looking to my left and there he is. When I hear the music, I always hear him. It’s a little ghostly.”

Of the nine-piece band Dorsey has assembled, six have history playing for Jackson. “This is our last hoorah with Mike.”

As is usually the case with Jackson, however, the event has been mired in controversy from the outset, creating a very public split in the Jackson family. It hasn’t helped that this weekend’s celebrations conflict with the ongoing trial in LA of Jackson’s doctor,

Conrad Murray, accused of his involuntary manslaughter. Jermaine, Randy and Janet Jackson have all been publicly critical of the event, although 13 members of the family will be attending, including Michael’s 81-year-old mother Katherine and three children (Prince, 14, Paris, 13, and Blanket, nine). Brothers Marlon, Tito and Jackie, sister La Toya and nephews 3T will all perform.

“I think in a large family where there have been disagreements all played out in the public eye, it would be a miracle to get every single member on board,” argues Chris Hunt, the urbane British CEO of Global Live, whiich is staging the event. “I don’t claim to be completely altruistic, but it is really the family’s tribute to their own.”

The closer you look, however, the more complicated things appear.

Beneficiaries of the concert include a trust fund for Jackson’s children (seeded with $100,000 and administered by his mother, the event’s most enthusiastic cheerleader) and two of Jackson’s favoured charities (Aids Project Los Angeles and the Prince’s Trust), but it will also profit private investors and Global Live itself, one of whose directors, Paul Ring, is also an employee of LaToya Jackson’s Ja-Tail company. When you consider the conflicts the concert has inspired, it doesn’t seem so surprising that it has taken two years (and at least three failed attempts by others, including Jermaine) to get a tribute off the ground at all.

More damaging even than virulent criticism by the Michael Jackson Fan Club has been a public exchange of frosty letters with lawyers for the executors of the estate of Michael Jackson. It is the latter who, in fact, control Jackson’s name, likeness and intellectual property, at least until his children come o****e, and evidently do not always see eye to eye with the Jackson family. Indeed, the Cardiff venue appears to have been chosen because, under UK intellectual property law, specific “rights of name, life story and likeness do not apply” (to quote Hunt’s written response to the estate’s criticism).

Look closely and you will notice that Michael Jackson’s name and likeness are not used on any official concert promotion, which might go some way to explaining sluggish ticket sales. This is a tribute concert that has a gaping hole where the object of its admiration ought to be.

Despite initial expectations of excess demand, the 74,000 capacity stadium has not sold out (organisers are reluctant to reveal ticket sale numbers). It will be the first global pay-per-view live broadcast on Facebook, with a potential audience of 800 million, but it currently boasts only 10,000 “likes” on its own Facebook page.

The timing has certainly been unfortunate, although Hunt argues that the concert date was set before the trial of Dr Conrad Murray was postponed to last month. A perceived insensitivity and generally poisonous atmosphere, however, clearly hasn’t helped attract the kind of stellar line-up you might expect at a tribute to the King of Pop.

A somewhat eccentric bill features US stars Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight, Christina Aguilera, Usher, Ne-Yo, Cee Lo Green, obscure Nineties indie rockers Alien Ant Farm and a UK contingent of former X Factor contestants, including Leona Lewis, JLS and Alexandra Burke. It’s more like a radio roadshow than a superstar extravaganza.

An invitation to pantomime heavy rockers Kiss was quickly rescinded when estate lawyer Howard Weitzman pointed out that band leader Gene Simmons had previously referred to Jackson as “a child molester”.

In the rehearsal room, Dorsey tries to shrug off controversy as irrelevant to the musicians. “The hardest part of this job has not been the music; it’s the politics,” he admits in a deep, dark voice (that fans of cult classic Ferris Bueller’s Day Off might recognise for his periodic declamations of “Oh yeah!”).

“It was always like that with Slim (his nickname for Jackson). You never knew what was true or what was gossip, and for me I didn’t care. I used to ask him, 'Doesn’t it hurt?’ and he said, 'If they’re talking about you, that means they’re thinking about you.’ So I approach it the way my friend would have wanted me to, which is no matter what happens, his music will be right.”

There won’t be any video footage or musical excerpts featuring Jackson himself at the Cardiff concert, for copyright reasons. Dorsey suggests this is no bad thing. “In our opening, we thought about having different people say 'Michael’, 'Michael’, 'Michael’, but I put a stop to it because I felt it was such downer to do all that and then him not appear. Usually when you hear that, what you see popping out of a toaster or space shuttle is Mike. But this time you’d see Ne-Yo or Leona Lewis. No disrespect to all the artists, but in my personal opinion there was no one better, and I don’t see anyone being better than Slim.

“This show is gonna be happy as hell, but it’s gonna be sad also, because the person we know for the music won’t be out front, performing.”

The empty stool in the rehearsal room seems an apt symbol for the whole Michael Forever event.

rico

Did Fergie piss hersel****ain? Or, is the autotuner broken?

maria

TMZ, your audience, people who make comments on your web site.. I am really concerned with their mental helth. So much hate, bull****, ugly people I never see in my life. TMZ you have real problem. People who visit this site are really sick, pedophiles etc. FBI should investige your site.

maria

Again and again, TMZ you should do something about your site. MJ was not one drug addict, Curt Cobain.. they celebrate him, sex, drugs, rock.... so boring. You celebrate musicians which concert are good only if you are drunk or druged whatsoever.. Whic collegue these people attended to???? Psycho profiles.Real wacko profiles. Go find help. Young people read this ...and what is your message for them? Michael Jackson is not problem. Their illness mental, is real problem.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments