The Great Bagel War

East Coast vs. West Coast

10/7/2011 2:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

100611_bagel_still_tv

The "Whose bagels are better?" war between the East Coast and West Coast has finally been settled -- thanks to semi-fresh, smuggled NYC bagels ... and Harv's breakfast appetite.

Check out TMZ on TV -- click here to see your local listings!

Frito

East Coast can keep their bagel title. West Coast has better weed and Mexican food. We win.

steve

and the winner for best bagel is........Montreal

Be a little inappropriate~

New York duh all the Jewish people are here.

cake

I was going to Parsons/The New School with NYU library privileges (wow what a fanTAStic library), living in a suite right on Union Square (at that time, a seriously dangerous park, or so we were told).

I'd grown up 2 hours north of Manhattan and taking Metro North from GST was something I'd done since birth.

Not sure what you mean by "West Coast" bagels... because that's really vague.

There is NOTHING like a NYC bagel - sadly I'm guessing that doughy, mass-manufactured bagels (a la those you may find in the bread aisle o*****rocery store) are likely more prevalent in NYC than they were when I was living in lower Manhattan and living on bagels, apples and heads of lettuce (I had $25 a week for food AND art supplies - and I had to buy art supplies).

Grand Central (drawing a blank on the name of the place - arg!) may be the place that made bagels trendy... I don't know.

All I know is that the NYC bagels were the best EVER - hard, uber-chewy, dangerous as a choking hazard, thick, dense, creamy almost... awesome with whitefish, lox/gravad lax (oh wait, gravlax is with capers, dill and vodka, sorry).

NYC is the only place to enjoy real, fresh bagels... don't forget there has to be a slight hint of diesel in every glue-y bite.

Any good bagels found elsewhere were borne of recipes, etc. of the real bagels of NYC. Real bagels are becoming more rare... as popular "bread-like" airy-ish aliens are endangering the true, awesome, dead weight loveliness of the real, authentic bagel...

Emm

NY ALL THE WAY, HANDS DOWN... Crunchy on the outside, hot and delicious in the middle. Nothing more needed!!!

Frank

F' Bagels! Go with midwest deepdish pizza. I'm sick of the NY crappy pizza in L.A.! Yeah, I get it, everyone here is from NY and love's the flat crap that you have to fold for the cheese to stay on. The only thing I miss from NYC is the hot pretzel vendors.

Frank

Forgot to mention, clearly there are no other water sources besides upstate NY. That's only where the bes*****er comes from in the whole wide world, because people from NY have made that claim. They must truck in NYC water to other NYC pizza venues in other parts of the country in order to enjoy the same chemical taste that you get in any other water system. Viva New York!

Rebecca

Are you ******* kidding me, I'm a life long NYer, born and raised, and there is nothing like NY bagels or pizza. That is specifically Long Island or NYC bagels and pizza. Upstate has nothing on us either and as for the west coast? Gimmie a break. Stick to bikinis and body image issues, neither of which a bagel will solve. I didn't eat a bagel during my stay in Cali, but their "Authentic NY PIzza" was soggy, and sub par. I can only imagine their bagels would be the same. It is just something in our water here in the city and Long Island.

Jeff Conte

You can't beat NYC bagels. The best place for bagels that I found in California was the "House of Bagels" in Sunnyvale, California in the San Francisco area. I now live in Austin, Texas, and the bagels here, in general, are NOT even close to being as good as NYC bagels, but there is great barbecue in Austin, especially at "The Salt Lick" (a ranch type place) in Dripping Springs, Texas (just south of Austin).

steve

google "best bagel in the world" and which city seems to come up more than any other?

steve

Bagels in Nyc are like everything else in Nyc, Overated!!!. New York basically walks around with a sock shoved down the front of its pants.

torri

did you know that one bagel is equal to six slices of bread!!!!!! Therefore, I don't care which is better because I cannot fathom eating six pieces of bread in one sitting

Keith

H & H bagels, Manhatten, NYC. THE BEST ON THE PLANET! 'Nuff said.

Michael K

Sorry kids, Montreal bagels have you all beat, hands down.

Wandy

Sorry Harvey....NY bagels RULE.... My sister lives in California and every other month I have to ship from H&H Bagels a box of bagels and Bialys. She can't deal with the wanna be versions in California....that goes for pizza also.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments