« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Frazier

Boxing Great Dies at 67

11/7/2011 8:13 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1107_joe_frazier_bn"Smokin" Joe Frazier died this evening after battling liver cancer ... according to the boxing legend's agent.

The former heavyweight champ was diagnosed just last month with liver cancer.

Darren Prince tells TMZ Frazier passed away at home in Philadelphia just over an hour ago. He was surrounded by his family.

Joe fought Muhammad Ali three times in the 70s ... defeating him in '71. Their last battle was the legendary "Thrilla in Manilla."

Joe Frazier was 67 years old.

1108_remembering_joe_frazier_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

matt

you will be missed. when joe hit somebody they wish somebody would have shot them instead. when he hit somebody they left the ground from his body shots.a real class act.

OC born and raised

Heaven has another champ tonight! RIP

NightOwl

RIP, Champ. God Bless his family.

nancyh

Very sad news. Rest in peace and you left this world with great respect and dignity.

the truth

RIP Champ. My prayers and thoughts are with the family. God Bless.

Tim

You know it is truly a loss of someone great when nobody on TMZ has anything bad to say. Truly a great champion. He was as good as anyone. He went toe to toe with Ali and was the man. He ran into a ridiculous athletic specimen in Foreman, but in his prime he could have done anyone in. The guy led a great life. I would tell his family that I am sorry for their loss, but that would not be accurate. The man was a legend and I am envious of those in his family who had the honor of knowing him. While his prime was much before I was even born, I have seen the legend and I will tell you that he was a great competitor and boxer. While I can not speak to him personally, his incredible career and the way he acted with the highest level of respectability and decorum define him in my eyes. I congratulate you Smokin' Joe on a life well lived

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

RIP Frazier... And it's the "Thrilla in Manila." Somebody needs to do some proofing before they post.

amazon_woman

R.I.P. Mr. Joe Frazier

Throwback kid

I always thought it was wrong when Ali called Joe and Uncle Tom and a Gorilla, he was neither, he was a proud black man and a great fighter. He even tried to help Ali get his boxing license back.Rest in Peace Joe you were a class act, Ali was just a retard who barley got out of high school

Arcadia Rink

Rest in peace Champ.

Jackie

R.I.P Joe

jpm4444

I'm beyond sad at the news. My favorite boxer of all time. A fighters fighter who was loved by all.

Friends of mine in Philly that knew him said he was humble and kind and did much for the youth of philly, and for several charities. One of the all time greats.

RIP to Smokin Joe Frazier

Criss

Sorry to hear that. Joe seemed like a good guy (I never met him)

Criss

R.I.P. sir

CLC

My prayers go out to his family @ this time....R.I.P.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments