Brett Ratner

Quits Oscars

after Homophobic Slur

11/8/2011 4:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1108_brett_ratner_bn_tmz
Brett Ratner
claims he's officially "resigned" as producer of the 2012 Academy Awards ... after dropping the homophobic F-bomb at a media event Sunday night.

Ratner -- best known for directing the "Rush Hour" movies -- was at a fan Q&A session for "Tower Heist" Sunday when he told the crowd, "Rehearsal is for f*gs."

Now, he's penned an open letter ... apologizing for the "hurtful and stupid things I've said" ... and adding, "Having love in your heart doesn’t count for much if what comes out of your mouth is ugly and bigoted."

Ratner continued, "Being asked to help put on the Oscar show was the proudest moment of my career. But as painful as this may be for me, it would be worse if my association with the show were to be a distraction from the Academy and the high ideals it represents."

Ratner says he's been in contact with GLAAD -- the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation -- and he promises he will work to "increase awareness of the important and troubling issues this episode has raised."

"I deeply regret my actions and I am determined to learn from this experience."

Tom Sherak -- the President of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences -- issued a statement saying, "[Brett] did the right thing for the Academy and for himself."

He added, "Words have meaning, and they have consequences. Brett is a good person, but his comments were unacceptable. We all hope this will be an opportunity to raise awareness about the harm that is caused by reckless and insensitive remarks, regardless of the intent."

110811_ratner_still_2

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

ChonChon

RESIGNING IS FOR ****!

solly

can't say ***

Tony Montana

Oh BFD! he said "****" for crying out loud this world needs to grow up FFS. Regardless of sexual orientation, religion, race or whatever people need to do something productive instead of crying about someone hurting their "feelings". My race embarrass me all the time, should I demand a public apology from a news network for finding the dumbest f&%king person any shade darker than milk to interview? No it's just the way the world is. Now go buy a box of tissues and get back in the closet if you can't handle a stereotype. It's only WORDS if they're hurtful than maybe you need to reanalyze your choices in life. Be proud of who or what you are. Now go do something positive ffs.

Mark Myward

Brett grab your ballz damn it. Your point was that rehearsal is for sissy's or the weak, I got that. I didn't get a picture in my mind of a room full of Rooster Suckers practicing wtf they were about to embark on. Don't cave into the media BS or politically correct crap. Pretty soon we'll have no funny comedians anymore if cry babies get butt hurt every time someone says a word that hurts their feelings. Quit being sgaf and man up Nancy it's only a word.

Chris

I love it when after an incident like this people say, "Anyone who knows me knows there isn't a prejudice bone in my body." I glad he resigned. He shouldn't do it because he is a moron plain and simple. Not the brightest bulb on the tree...

ihateGayPeople

i ****in hate gay people. im a human being too i can hate or i can love who ever i want wt.

harvey blows

HAHA too funny. I love how F*g is now the F word? really? yet our society allows the N word to be used routinely by blacks.

Brian K

GLAAD is doing nothing more than empowering the dumb word to the point that it creats false outrage. Ratner used it in a context that was not directed to Homosexuals. Every rational person knows the word was used as a description of someone "uncool". GLAAD wants this word to be offensive in order to fulfill their existence. If Brett is a hateful person, he wouldn't be working in Hollywood nor would he be sucessfull.
Tom Sherak is a coward to allows special interest groups determine what is and what isn't offensive. He is a coward to empower the irrational witch hunt of anyone who references a word they find distasteful. It should be the public who decides what is and what isn't appropriate. Shame on the supporters of this kind of false outrage that plagues our society. We are becoming more divided because of the false anger these special interest groups drum up. I will not be watching the Academy Awards now that they did this. Sorry for the rant...

johnny

The Academy Awards is for **** too. What no boycott.

mssnarnd

Re: COMMENT #8 where I'm called a "JERK OFF" for sticking up for the rights of little children

Oh BTW ohboy - I'm A JERK OFF???
That's some ugly language - you a part of Jerry Sandusky's crew? That's the kind of attack I would expect from a group of his.
And, this may not be CNN, but TMZ has made it more than obvious that they are against child abuse and support ALL efforts to uncover how this perverted tragedy could have occurred at PENN STATE. Only the GUILTY are trying to cover it up.

You're a joke. Just click on your name, and read through your past 120+ comments. You really don't have much to say. Obviously, you wouldn't have the right mind to stand up for some innocent 10-year-old screaming from the shower for your needed protection. What kind of human are you? To attack a post about protecting little kids??? You against cute babies and puppies, too?? You're just sick.
This may not be CNN; but, God help us if there's ever the "right" site to NOT SUPPORT CHILD ABUSE!!!
With monsters like you out there, those little boys have a lot more to fear than just PENN STATE. GROW A PAIR, and stand up for the innocent children in this country!
SICKO!