Billy Crystal

I'm Hosting the Oscars!

11/10/2011 1:33 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Crystal
Billy Crystal just announced ... he's replacing Eddie Murphy as the host for next year's Oscars show.

The legendary Academy Awards host tweeted just minutes ago -- "Am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up my prescriptions. Looking forward to the show."

As we previously reported, Murphy backed out from hosting the show yesterday -- after his friend Brett Ratner resigned from producing it ... following uproar over a homophobic slur Ratner dropped at a film screening.

This will be Crystal's 9th time hosting the Oscars.

Jason

Less Crystal, more Muppets.

andy

"What's really nice is TMZ is posting more interesting items today than they have for the last week."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- That's because Lindsay accidentally locked herself in the morgue cooler, and there haven't been any recent "sightings". Thank Goodness :o) ! ! !
GOOD TIMES.

Frito

Noooooo!!, not Billy Crystal. I don't understand why people think this guy is so funny.

Tammy

I've no interest in the Oscars with Billy Crystal hosting.

nof

-Home Run With Brian Grazer.

-Home Run With Billy Crystal.

-Disappointed about Ratner/Murphy.

-But these two announcements makes it easier to swallow.

No Nofstracisms will result.

nof

Hey Billy, what young woman, what pharmacy and what prescriptions.

-OPEN the Oscars with this.

THEN give me the writing gig -

Fat Mike

As far as Oscars hosts go Billy Crystal was one of the best. That being said, he will fail miserably this time around. Trying to recreate television magic usually turns out to be a very cringeworthy experience. He will be okay but all anyone will be saying the next day is "he wasn't as good as he used to be".
Major major fail losing Eddie Murphy.

jc

YEAH!
Now I know I'll watch this year!

LeeMoney

TMZ always seems to forget to add 'Who Cares!' to their dump polls

Justine07

Ah, there's nothing classier than talking to people with a toothpick sticking out of your mouth. Was looking forward to Eddie hosting, but hopefully Billy will be funny - he's kinda hit or miss.

nof

OPENING OSCAR SKETCH:

Billy enters his pharmacy and is met by counter GIRL.

Played by Lady Gaga.

After much confusion about the prescription?

And Billy getting irate?

GAGA calls to the PHARMACIST in the back.

Eddie Murphy walks out as the pharmacist.

Resulting in twice as much confusion.

In the sketch Eddie's like a street-talking pharmacist.

the two then break out into a-song-and-dance number.

About all of the movies.

This way you marry both camps -

I'm calling Eddie right now ...

nof

Oh and I want Uncle Sid to make an appearance.

The great Sid Caesar.

Sid knows me.

-A little too well, quite frankly ...

Arcadia Rink

To the Academy Awards: I am very disappointed that Eddie Murphy is not hosting. I was really looking forward to something new, something fresh and Eddie would have been a terrific change. Now we are BACK to Billy Crystal. Same ole, same ole. I like Billy but I think it's time for a CHANGE. Eddie would have produced great ratings. Why not approach Eddie and ask him to reconsider? Eddie Murphy is THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE!

denver

Now just get Whoopi to co-host with Billy and it will be a great night..........

SantaFeJack

Billy is a pro and when he hosts, it is obvious to everyone how much time and effort he and his team have put into it. Glad to see him back. Hope, Carson and Crystal...the best!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments