« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Penn State President

I'm Appointing an 'Ethics Officer'

11/11/2011 1:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rodney Erickson
Penn State's new President Rodney Erickson claims he's appointing an "Ethics Officer" to oversee campus officials in a renewed effort to make sure his people don't pull a Paterno.

It's unclear exactly what the new Ethics Officer's duties entail -- but Erickson just sent an email to the entire PSU community, claiming he plans to "revisit all standards, policies and programs to ensure they meet not only the law, but Penn State's standard."

Erickson says the E.O. will oversee this effort and report directly to him.

In his statement, Erickson says, "Never again should anyone at Penn State feel scared to do the right thing" -- a thinly veiled shot at Mike McQueary, whose cowardly inaction seems not to have been "the right thing."

Erickson has not named a possible candidate for the new Ethics position.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

crimsons

I assume the Ethics Officer is named McQuery?

nitro

As an old supervisor in law enforcement, if PSU doesn't let this person do his/her job without a change of command directly to the to[ person and access to the board when issues are questionable, it will not work. When a position like this has to go through a change of command there is to many stop islands, just what happened with Joepa. He told his supervisors but they didn't do anything. Sexual harrassment and baby raping is serious and needs an indepandent unit to investigate.

UPYOURS

Too late you SOB, try firing people instead of putting them on paid leave. Ethics officer my ass. Give ME that job, and the job of cleaning house

Sandra

Everyone involved needs to be fired!! Appointing an ethics officer is so pathetic as standards of appropriate behaviour should be a given!! Down with stupid, ignorant abusive and child molesting Penn State!!

CriticXtreme

It's too late to appoint anyone because the penis has been let out of the zipper. And this is another reason why some folks just aren't feeling the homie-o-sexuals.

ColoradoRob

Will this be the same as cops investagating cops where after an exhausting investagation we found no wrong doing by anybody involved?

Ron Powell

He probably had the two janitors, who saw an assault but never reported it out of fear of losing their jobs, in mind and not McQueary.

justtrying

This has been a tragedy. Absolutely. But I would challenge anyone who works in a chain-of-command type situation to play it differently. Would not McQ have lost his job 9 years ago had he immediately called police? Would Paterno have lost his job had he called police? I bet these were questions that they asked themselves. I cannot personally call the police in my job - I would be fired. I have to go through my chain of command. When society comes to a real, true, workable point where anyone can call the police without ramifications, then we will not see a story like this playing out again. Were the police alerted? I bet McQ and Paterno were told that it would all be taken care of. They are not to be held responsible for making sure a conviction happens - that is not their place. I think the chain of command must be followed further up. I think McQ and Paterno, at least, are being used as scapegoats here. They did tell. What more were they supposed to do? And before you just glibly say 'call the police themselves', think about it - they knew that there jobs and dreams were on the line. I challenge each of us to make a better choice than they did. They did, in fact, tell. And what a horrible punishment for the telling they have paid!!!! That is the second part of the tragedy.

Ron Powell

McQueary might have; Paterno would not. The two janitors certainly feared that they would. That is the real story in this news story -- the Ethics Officer is for them, not McQueary. The cowardly writer (who failed to put his or her name to this story) missed the point.

Ron Powell

McQueary might have felt that he would lose his job. Paterno would not have lost his job. The two janitors most definitely felt that they would lose their jobs -- that is why they didn't report it. The "journalist" here has missed the true story in this article.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3