« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Diagnosed with Lung Cancer

11/18/2011 1:22 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1118_joe_paterno_BN_01
Joe Paterno
has been diagnosed with a treatable form of lung cancer ... this according to his son Scott.

Scott just released the following statement: "Last weekend my father was diagnosed with a treatable form of lung cancer during a follow-up visit for a bronchial illness. He is currently undergoing treatment and his doctors are optimistic that he will make a full recovery."

Scott added, "As everyone can appreciate, this is a deeply personal matter for my parents, and we simply ask that his privacy be respected as he proceeds with treatment."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

nameisnotvalid

Karma.
Respect his privacy? like Sandusky respected those kids privacy?
I aint gonna miss you old man.

Ashley

k-k-k-k-karma

S Dog

Scott, your fat and a nobody. Both you and your old man should walk into all those woods out there and disappear.

blacksssheep

This is such a pitty story, TMZ. Save us the afterschool special for another day. This is a pure example of KARMA.

bring back recent posts

...interesting that he got lung cancer...I can't help but wonder if he will get that smothered feeling in the end..u know..hard to breath..just the way the victims prolly feel every nite when they go too sleep..if ONLY he had stopped that beast...so many others wouldn't have that terrible feeling tonite!

lcmb

I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone.

SNAFU

So??????

Chuck

You people have more ill will toward Joe than you do for the person that actually committed the rape. Get over yourselves already. Karma will come back to get you too!!!

Bubo22

Umm "deeply person al matter" and "ask his privacy be respected." Scott you fool you just blabbed it out to the press. Sounds like a desperate ploy to cover Joe's involvement crimes. A bit pathetic.

Bren

What horrible comments to make about someone who has cancer..People do not get cancer because they make mistakes if that were the case we all would have it. From the comments I can tell none of you have made mistakes..I have been a Penn State fan since I was 6yrs old and will continue to be.. My heart breaks for the children who were abused and I hope justice will prevail for all of them.. I think Mr.Sandusky is a sick and evil person and hopefully will spend the rest of his life in jail !!!!I don't know all the facts about this case however and won't know till it goes to trial!!! I do know the past players,students and present players have nothing to do with the abuse that was taken place with the children..I think most Penn State fans are sick over this scandal and want justice for the victims..

venturahiway

Cancer of any kind in an 84 year old person is serious. The cancer may be "treatable" but any secondary infections affecting the lungs could be deadly. I think his family is in for a difficult ordeal. I hope this condition brings him to contemplate his own mortality and re-think his past actions/inactions in light of them. Maybe he'll "recall" a few details he has forgotten to mention that will help the case against Sandusky come to light.

Hi

You all who commented something BAD are such hypocrites. I bet you guys would have done the same if you were in Mr.Paterno's postion. One thing i have learned from my life(sixteen years)is every human is evil deep down (even me). Secondly you guys should get your facts right before attacking someone. Mr.Paterno(RESPECTED) did try to help just not enough to fulfill you hypocrite stomachs. Seriously you all would hurt someone with your foolish words when someone is suffering health wise. SHAME on all of you. At first when he was doing something great to satisfy you, you all loved him(greedy) and as soon as a respected human makes a mistake you guys start hurting him mentally. Once again SHAME on all of you Stupid commenters. I thought the older generations had a brain, i guess you proved me wrong. THANK YOU Mr.Paterno for trying and I HOPE YOU GET WELL SOON!!! Can't wait to see you back an Penn State( they misssss you a lot).

Jillian

Karma! Yes, karma is going to take his azz down!

marquis

be careful about cheering etc for some1 who's recieved
a cancer diagnosis
while your happy 1of your loved 1s can be get'n ready to get diagnosed the same next day...jus sayin!

kd

YEAH..."private matter"...just like the molestation of those young boys was a "private matter"...This old fart will die n NEVER have to take responsibility for his LACK of MORALITY in this situation...Jerk..