Wodka Vodka

Anti-Semitic Billboard Pulled

For Being Super Anti-Semitic

11/24/2011 12:35 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Wodka Vodka billboard -- christmas quality, hanukkah pricing
Some dumbass at the Wodka Vodka company thought he could post a billboard reading, "Christmas Quality, Hanukkah Pricing" ... and everything would be cool. He was wrong.

The billboard -- posted in New York -- was taken down after the company received scores of phone calls and complaints from the Anti-Defamation League.

A rep for the ADL released a statement saying, "In a crude and offensive way of trying to make a point that their vodka is high quality and inexpensive, the billboards evoke a Jewish holiday to imply something that is cheap and of lesser value when compared to the higher value of a Christian holiday."

The rep added the billboard "reinforces anti-Semitic stereotypes.”

According to the Washington Post, the guy in charge of the moronic campaign is Brian Gordon -- who says he is Jewish and didn't intend to offend anyone ... explaining the billboard was supposed to convey that Hanukkah is an "understated" holiday.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Ehécatl

At the very least, this advertisement is insensitive. Even the pictures are insensitive. One dog is wearing a yamulka, which is a religious article of clothing. This denigrates Jewish practices. Meanwhile the other dog is wearing a Santa Claus cap, which is not a religious article of clothing although it is associated with Christmas taken as a national or non-religious celebration. Hence this does not denigrate Christian practices. All in all, the billboard is at least in poor taste.

sparced

it's totally anti-semitic when it was created by a jewish guy.... lol

Is it in poor taste? maybe...

is it anti-semitic? no

Daniel W.

When I read it, I thought it was a reference to how Christmas gifts have become about how much you spend while Hanukkah gifts are more traditional.

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

So, basically it's saying "Jews are cheap" which is not anti-semitic, just a generalization. And maybe calling the creator a dumbass and moronic, is a bit over-reactive, hmm?

Rome

HILARIOUS! Should have said price negotiable!

Mary P

Uhm, considering all the rich Jews around, what stereotype are they perpetuating here? I read it and thought "Christmas gifts are all in one day, Hanukkah is the same money spread over 8 days" so like, a day of Hanukkah is cheaper than Christmas.

Seriously thinking here. Are the traditional gifts for Hanukkah things like a dreidal? While Christmas is gold, frankincense and myrrh?

Would there be any offense of they'd said Menorah quality, lump of coal cost?

God, we are a nation of sissies.

Her Imperial and Royal Majesty

Never take anti-Semitism lightly. Never dismiss jokes about the Jewish people as harmless fun. That is what happened in Europe before the World War II and it made the Holocaust possible.

sarahdeane

I am not a Jew. I am not a Christian.
All this ad is saying, is that Christmas is a commercial rip-off, but Wodka are keeping the prices real, like Hannukah is probably the more sincere festival. I mean, how many people ACTUALLY go to church to worship the baby Jesus anymore? Er....

Talk about overreacting....

Marc

I think its funny how you guys try to steer the reader into the pool but calling him a dumbass and other things. Then the poll says to just get over it which majority votes. Obviously the person at TMZ who wrote this is Jewish or trying to kiss someones ass who is Jewish. Listen to you're readers - GET OVER IT tmz. BTW - This ISNT breaking newsdumbass.

EggsOverEasy

It is in poor taste, but it is not "anti-semitic"... "Anti-semitic" is a word that is way over used, mostly by jews, who seem to any little slight such as this stupid billboard means the world is out to get them. I couldn't do the poll, because it is a loaded question, the poll should say "offensive" or " get over it".. I think TMZ needs to get over it, and stop fueling these ridiculous fires.......

Lars Eighner

Christmas quality? So it's the Chia pet of vodka? There might be someway to work this so it would be mildly amusing while being offensive to only the most sensitive. How about: Hyped for Christmas. Priced for Hanukkah. No? But wait ... I guess the idea is to try to sell the vodka.

Rabbitt

I think it's funny.

Dennis Johnson

I am Jewish....get over it as I can't see anything wrong with it at all.

YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE

The OVERREACTION to this billboard is what causes people to
hate jews. Think about it...

AlwaysOnTimeB

Everyone makes fun of everyone else's nationality in one way or another. When it's towards my nationality, I sincerely find it funny. I don't get offended easily, but I guess some people do. We have to take into account how the other person will feel about something like this. It's not easy to step into someone else's shoes, so sometimes things that are meant to be harmless "fun" turn into very offensive words and actions.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments