Country Star Rodney Atkins

Arrested for Trying to Smother

Wife with a Pillow

12/15/2011 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rodney Atkins Mug shot
Country superstar Rodney Atkins was arrested last month in Tennessee for domestic assault after allegedly trying to smother his wife with a pillow -- but TMZ has learned Rodney has since filed for divorce, and insists his wife made up the whole thing.

According to court docs filed in Williamson County, Rodney's wife Tammy Atkins called 911 at 7:47 AM on November 21 -- claiming the two had been arguing throughout the night in their home ... when Rodney turned violent.

Tammy told police Rodney tried to smother her with a pillow ... and later grabbed her by the face and threw her down the hallway.

According to cops, Tammy insisted the platinum-selling singer "had been drinking alcohol all night and was intoxicated."

What's worse -- Tammy claims the entire assault took place in front of the couple's 10-year-old son.

Rodney was hauled to a nearby jail -- where he was booked and released on $2,500 bail.

But Rodney says his wife is straight up lying -- and his lawyer is calling the incident nothing more than an "unfortunate verbal dispute."

In a statement released to TMZ ... Rodney's lawyer says, "When Mr. Atkins realized their child was in hearing range of the argument his first priority became getting out of the earshot of the child."

The statement continues, "Mr. Atkins realized he would have no recourse but to file a complaint for divorce. He has exercised substantial parenting time with the parties son and he will continue to do so while the divorce is pending."

"Mr. Atkins wants to thank his fans for standing by him as he is confident the truth will prevail."

JugEars McKenyan Sr..

Roh Roh.....he'll be doing the Hollywood apology circuit we've all seen a billion times in this lifetime. You and me, we make one mistake and pay for it forever, these people fluckk up all the time, and go right back to making millions doing pretty much what we all do for hobbies. Yet they make millions and comparatively we make squat for jobs 1000 times more important. No, this country isn't upside down is it?

Ace

Smothering is definitely the way to go. Guns and knives are messy and leave a lot of evidence for the forensic people.

Jackie

Can you get rid of these Spam? Jeez.

MC

Who?

Hollywood Outsider

As a lawyer, I would have expected better grammar. "He has exercised substantial parenting time with the parties son" should be "party's son," shouldn't it? Just sayin'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At this point I don't know who to believe because his side does sound plausible. If someone isn't happy in a marriage, they can say just about anything when they have a celebrity for a spouse, and people will listen. Either way, it's unfortunate that their son was present.

moxie

Booze...If you can't control yourself, don't drink the ****. Especially if you have kids in the home. I'd bet that this has happened before, too. Think of your son, you two fools.

Truth

REAL QUESTION - WHY DID IT TAKE HARVEY AND TMZ A WHOLE FREAKIN MONTH TO GET THIS ANECDOTE?? THOT TMZ WAS NUMERO UNO IN CELEB STALKING. MUST BE BECUZ IT'S OUTSIDE THE THIRTY MILE ZONE. #EPICFAIL #LAME #TURTH!!

kathy haass

What A Bitch..

Chris

Never heard of the guy....and I'm a country music fan.

Elaine

That is so a "yes, I did it and enjoyed it face" if I've ever seen one.

onelove627

I wouldn't call him a "country superstar" he's more like a three or four hit wonder.

TK

Sounds like he may have a new country hit in the making appropriately named. . . .wait for it. . . .

I tried to kill her with a 'piller'.

Thank you, I'll be here all night!

Landry

Grammar genius......it's supposed to say parties' son...not party's.....there is more than one party. If you're going to correct someone, make sure you're right first.

Tabitha

This guy is a real jerk... He puts on the persona of being "real" and "down to earth" but in reality he is so full of himself it's pathetic! I saw him in a restaurant once and was just pointing him out to my mom and he saw me point in his direction and pulled hi***** down and shook his head like "don't bother me!" I wasn't going to "bother" him anyway.. Get over yourself Randy Atkins!! But hey, like Johnny Cash said, "Guess you can sing about jail like you've been there now"!!!!

Jay W.

Remember Rodney... body shots only. You don't want to leave marks that are visible.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments