« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Leigh Steinberg

Bench Warrant Issued for

Sports Super Agent

12/22/2011 6:05 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

1222-steinberg-getty-BN
Leigh Steinberg -- the sports agent who's repped Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Aikman and Steve Young -- is a wanted man for skipping a court hearing involving an alleged $1.4 million in unpaid rent.

The bench warrant was issued today in Orange County because Steinberg missed his court date last week. According to documents, the super agent inspiration for "Jerry Maguire" owes a real estate company more than a mil for office space in Newport Beach, CA.

The company claims Steinberg stopped paying his lease back in 2009 -- and says it has been next to impossible to serve him with a subpoena because he's constantly surrounded by bodyguards.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

KittyKittyKitty

Yikes!

TheWarAgainstCommonSense

Hey now. The easiest way for a rich person to stay rich is not paying debts or taxes. Wesley Snipes knows this...

geminiman7

Glad he's not black. Otherwise we'd be seeing dumb/racists comments about "black PEOPLE" (as a whole) instead of HE's (one person) a s***bag. LOL

Kiko

Show me the money!

If sense were common everyone would have it.

Hate when that happens to me. Upper East Side 5th Avenue penthouse, & they're giving me attitude over a mil? Please. My lawyer doesn't even get nervous til it hits 5. Yep. Mm hm.

bkwardstraveler

He not only won't show the money, he's gonna keep it.

Chris

Since when do they put people in jail for a civil matter? This country is getting insane. I am not defending him for skipping out on a debt but we don't have debtor prisons in this country. This is an over stepping of our government. Wake up people. If I get sued and don't answer a civil case the plaintiff gets a default judgement and can come after me to collect. I don't go to prison.

Constantine Maureas

Sad story. I met Leigh Steinberg many years ago when I was working in a restaurant in Huntington Beach, and he was very gracious. I hope everything works out.

Aspiring Journalist

Might want to make sure the story is correct. CBS and NBC have corrected their stories tonight after learning of the errors in their original story.

Steinberg

Just FYI, we are in no relation

Azzkicker

This doesn't make any sense; 2+ years without rent? Sorry, no sale. They should have served his office with a pay or quit notice; he doesn't have to be served personally. Eviction follows very soon. There's more to this story than what's been posted here...

Meg

I remember his appearance on 90210 when dear old Donna jumped in front of his car to talk to him....ah, those were the days.

who dat

He's prob screwed so many peeps he needs bodyguards

alex roomie

The chick from xfactor won!!!

KicksandGiggles

This is stupid. Instead of surrounding himself with bodyguards, he needs to surround himself with decent accountants and book keepers. Talk about not handling your own business! Just plain stupid.