Toni Braxton Hospitalized

My Lupus Flared Up, But I'm OK

1/12/2012 2:33 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Toni Braxton
Toni Braxton
was transported to an L.A. hospital this week after experiencing some painful "flare ups" stemming from her Lupus condition ... but the singer tells us she'll be "totally fine."

Braxton tells TMZ, "I wanted to say thanks to all my fans for their support, as I have been experiencing some flare ups with my Lupus which has me in the hospital for a few days."

She adds, "I wanted to clear the record before rumors started, and will totally be fine as I'm blessed to having an amazing family for support."

Braxton first opened up about her struggle with the disease last year -- and has been very active in raising awareness about the condition.

Lupus is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue. It can affect many different body systems, including joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, the heart and lungs.

Melissa

I have had Lupus for the last 8 years - since I was 18. It is probably the most frustrating disease because flares are likely to happen without any warning. So for example: yesterday I was perfectly healthy and very energetic. This morning I woke up with the inability to get out of bed without the help of my spouse and in an incredible amount of pain. I also don't have health insurance so that definitely doesn't help but I digress. I wish her well. I also hope people will educate themselves on the illness because I often get people disbelieving especially since I don't "look sick". Get well Toni!!

StevenTyler324

In the words of Greg House: "It's never lupus."

Melissa lee

Every time I have a lups flare I think about her. As I'm typing I'm tearing up because sometimes the pain is too much. Having lups has changed my total outlook on life. Always think positive Toni. Xoxo

Melissa lee

Ur so right lupos is scary. One morning I woke up and I couldn't move waste down after being rushed to the er MRI showed lupos started affecting my spine. It originally started two years before affecting my heart and now my spine. God is great because I can walk again. But I take everything easy these days after that experience. It can be a slow killer

CRH

Get well Toni. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Stay strong and keep fighting this. Prayers are coming your way.

tellmeaboutit

I like Toni; she's always been one of my favorite singers and I wish her music career was more on the front burner these days. I don'*****ch reality shows, including hers, but I hope she recovers soon.

Sincerity

Toni Braxton is a "phenomenal" singer and may she be blessed with a thorough and speedy recovery. The older you become the more "unpredictable" your body becomes because everything is "CHANGING"!!! PEACE!!!

Cheryl A.

Lupus can be devestating. Get well soon.

MIDNIGHT TOKER

why does she have to be transported..just get your butt in a car and drive yourself lady..geeezzz..and george constanza has lupus and he was okay..

Moni

Glad she is o.k. Ummm....on a side note, her ex-husband sure does pop up a lot (he's the man in the photo).

Jackie

My sister has Lupus and has had it since she was a teenager. She is in her late 50's. It's interesting how many of the comments below indicated that they thought their family member was faking it because we also thought our sister was just lazy since she use to lay around the house all the time. Her's wasn't actually diagnosed until she was in her late 30's and she didn't find out what it actually was until her 40's because no one knew. They only could tell her that her blood cells were being attacked. She has really gotten it under control and refuse to allow this disease to cripple her. She gets up every morning and works out, eats right, gets her rest and lives a very productive life. She did have to go thru chemo but because she was so strong and perservered, she went to school to teach daily after her chemo. She is definitely my SHERO because she faithfully fights daily to keep moving. Even when she is in pain. I am proud to say that she hasn't had a flare up for the last 2 years. Stress is a major key to causing a flare up so if you have the disease, keep your stress down and eat right. She really should write a book because she has definitely created a blueprint to living a good life in spite of. Love you SIS. :)

SLE Lupus Foundation

The SLE Lupus Foundation wishes Toni Braxton a speedy recovery from the lupus complications she is suffering. Her openness about lupus has helped raise awareness and de-stigmatize the disease.

gossipgirl86

I had 2 aunts with lupus. It mainly effects ethnic people for some reason. One aunt seemed totally fine just some painful flare ups and the other it completely attacked her skin. She had scabs and scars all over. Her hair fell out because I guess it was just eating away her skin. It can be a pretty bad thing.

celeste

Alex

I hope she is okay :( It is not fun having this disease as it is so unpredictable and I have been lucky and to the people who think your loved ones were faking it, would you tell a person in a wheelchair that as well? Just because we don't show our pain or look sick, doesn't mean we are not sick

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments