Beyonce on Etta James

'This is a Huge Loss'

1/20/2012 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0120_beyonce_etta_BN-01
Beyonce Knowles
-- who played Etta James in "Cadillac Records" -- has released a statement on the singer's death ... praising James as "one of the greatest vocalists of our time."

James infamously slammed Beyonce in 2009 after Knowles sang "At Last" at Obama's inauguration .. when Etta said, "That woman he had singing for him, singing my song ... she's going to get her ass whipped."

But Beyonce was gracious ... adding in today's statement, "I am so fortunate to have met such a queen. Her musical contributions will last a lifetime."

She continued, "Playing Etta James taught me so much about myself, and singing her music inspired me to be a stronger artist.  When she effortlessly opened her mouth, you could hear her pain and triumph. Her deeply emotional way of delivering a song told her story with no filter. She was fearless, and had guts. She will be missed."

jessica r

Beyonce's musical contributions may last a lifetime if she is lucky, and be forgotten when she's gone, but Etta is timeless, and her music will be around forever.

saga

what did beyonce do to all you losers? She was asked to comment and she responded as she always does with class and grace. And lets be honest, Etta was good in her heyday but there were jazz singers who were 10 times better. And I got be honest, I enjoyed Beyonce's rendition of her songs better than Etta's. You people act like you know any of these women personally. And to deny this women's talent, saying she cant sing just because you hate her because she's beautiful and has it all is ridiculous. Beyonce made Etta relevant again. Nobody under 40 knew who she was until Beyonce remade her songs. And Etta did not give Christina Aguilera's overrated,over singing ass permission to do ****.Permission was given from the writers because if you idiots new anything you would know Etta didn't write "At Last" nor was she the first to record it.

killykilly

Why would Beyonce have a say about a legend like Etta James? She ruined her song and Beyonce can't sing all that well. No one cares about Beyonces' opinion in this matter.

modern hippy

I find these comments to be kind of pathetic. Do you people just sit behind your computers and find a way to dislike celebrities but secretly wishing that you could be them? Like seriously I nowhere near a beyonce stand, I think ove like maybe 3 or 4 of her songs but that's it. I still see no reason to dislike her. And fir the record her son put out a statement saying when Etta made this comments she was very sick and going through dimensia. You guys really need to get a life and stop disliking someone for absolutely no reason. It just makes you look pathetic and stupid.

Heisenberg

Beyonce speaking: Ain't she da Gramma od Jessie James, da cowboy dude?

Reyna38

oh lord. shut up Beyonce............. who cares on what you think anymore.. i started no liking you anymore ever since you think your all that and some and that was once you thought you where all that and some...hahhahahaha.. im bored with her and her thoughts.

Mumra the Ever Living

COmment #28 - you are a stone moron. Etta was considered ROYALTY from her fellow musicians and a "race music artist" by the music industry. SHe spent most of her career having much of her music covered by white artists because the establishment didn't want to have black music in their lily white homes. The songs she did manage to get into mainstream America came in the guise of "ROck and Roll", a genre she really didn't belong in.
Perhaps you should realize that you must understand history, understand the music business and most importantly, understand you're a moron before you post again.

ANON 11

Why all of you are talking **** Beyonce' is being gracious in the media even after that old bag bashed her. Her old ass should have been happy someone dusted her dinosaur bones But I am not to talk ill of the dead. The Illuminati killed Etta James lol j/k. No matter what Bey does you are never satisfied but guess what you will be now period. I wouldn't have been as gracious I would have brought up her little comment and had my tea in a bunch of shade yet I am not her. Thank you Beyonce' for being the bigger woman.

Emma

Did everybody manage to forget that Etta James was a junky? We're lucky we got her until she was 73-years-old! And if you ask me, that's a pretty decent age for one to die. I'm sure she will be missed, but she could've been forgotten if she hadn't gotten off the dope. Count your blessings, kids!

diva20

It is nothing classy about beyonce she is and attention whore her and camel. Ican't believe she still has 1 fan after lying and faking her whole pregnancy her fans should start a hate campaign she reminds me of kim k i think she will be booed the next time she performs and i will be laughing.

Johny cash

wow, so many haters. I understand y'all dont like mrs. knowles but to say she cant sing when she truly is an great singer is just off. She will be a legend whether you like it or not just like miss James

brickhousewife

Etta James lived under jim crow law and watched times change. it would have been great for her to sing at Obama's inauguration. Beyonce's rendition was cute, but Etta's just a beast and grimy. I was very disappointed when beyonce sang for the Obama's inauguration. I turned the channel and still refuse to watch the video of beyonce sing the song. Etta would have put the stank on "At Last", which is the reason this standatrd is marked as her song and why it's the Obamas favorite song. I understand business, beyonce did help Obama with the youth vote...but still we know Obama gonna win again so she could have sang it this time. Etta music is forever in my favorites and in top 10.

David

Blacks always support other blacks entertainers. I think it's racist, but anyway, may Etta James rest in peace, but who is she?

NiecyBaby

Beyonce is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. I guarantee you if Beyonce hadn't released a statement, people still would of found something to bitch about: "Oh Bey's so shady, she played the woman in a movie and sang her song at the Inauguration and she's too good to comment on it b/c...." Plenty of other celebrities have expressed their sadness about her death, but they don't get these negative responses, seems like hate at its purest. R.I.P Etta James

jdw019

all these retarted beyonce hating comments are so pathetic. beyonce sang ettas song because she was promoting a movie where she playd the role of etta so of course thats what she would sing. and obama shoce beyonce to sing at his inaguration because beyonce did a lot as far as promoting him and his campaign.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments