Mark Cuban

His 'Shark Tank' Investment

Is The Cat's Meow!

2/1/2012 12:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0130_cat_cuban_abc_exMark Cuban really does have the Midas touch -- his $25,000 investment into an online business that produces stick figure drawings of cats (yes, really) is actually proving to be a moneymaker ... and the guy behind it can't keep up with the demand!

Steve Gadlin's appearance on the ABC show "Shark Tank" aired just this Friday. For the uninitiated ... entrepreneurs go on the show seeking investments from a team of business "sharks," such as Cuban.

The Dallas Mavericks owner pledged $25k to Gadlin in return for 33% of his business. Within 30 seconds of receiving Cuban's blessing, Gadlin tells TMZ, his site crashed.

Gadlin tells us, he's gotten over a thousand orders in the past few days, where before he averaged between 10-40 a week. Gadlin charges $9.95 for his customized cat drawings ... and they only cost him about $0.63 in materials.

He says he's going to take a week off from his real job as a web developer to catch up with the demand.

We talked to Mark Cuban, who said "[Steve] is the master of the bizarre, which means we will be great partners.  He comes up with ideas that sound crazy but make perfect business sense," adding, "I'm fired up to work him with."

0130_cat_sub2

Superman

People are really stupid if they pay $9.95 for that.

northern gypsy

this show is awesome...you see how successful "sharks" operates..
the people pitching their ideas can range from genius to ridiculous...
i like to watch and see if i can pick a winner !!!

AntiSocialForum.com

Cat people (people that like cats) are wired.

JVarner77

I love Cuban on the show - total wildcard who is as liable to turn on the sharks as he will on the contestants. He makes the show unpredictable, and fun because he takes chances the other stuffy guys won't. Its a real hoot!

batterup

Wasnt this part of obamas jobs bill?

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

I will just draw my own stick cats and save ten bucks.

tomas

Steve could poop in a bucket and I'd buy it!

anony

I bet most of the drawings are bought by cat ladies with like 50 cats. They buy one for each cat.

pumpiumpiumkin

"I'm fired up to work him with." Wow..

Woot

First of all, that's not a "stick figure". Second, it's neither cute nor funny, nor original. But to each his own, as they say.

eh

UNA PREGUNTA:
SE PUEDE SABER QUE NARICES HAS VISTO EN MÍ? QUÉ TE INTERESA DE MÍ? POR QUÉ ME PERSIGUES? POR QUÉ TE LLAMÉ TANTO LA ATENCIÓN? EH?

gina

$10!!! Are people insane. I clicked his link, I could draw better cats when I'm half asleep with the lights off. These are some of the ugliest drawings Ive ever seen. And he is full of it if he says it costs him 63 cents in materials, no way, like 12 cents. It can not take him more than 2 minutes to draw those pictures. Please comment if you bought one, I need to know how this can possibly be appealing to people.

xxnonamexx

Iwanttodrawadogpetanimalforyoufree.com The unborn can draw better. People should boycot this product.

Eric

I saw this on Shark Tank last Friday. I still don't get why people pay $10 for it but Mark Cuban knows a good idea when he see's one. I'm not going to hate on the guy he better higher a few more artists to meet fill his orders.

Jessica

I messaged him because i was concerned the cats dont have whiskers and some no tails....he told me to buy one. haha i just drew what i wanted myself...looks better then half of his drawings.lol.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments