Mark Cuban

His 'Shark Tank' Investment

Is The Cat's Meow!

2/1/2012 12:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0130_cat_cuban_abc_exMark Cuban really does have the Midas touch -- his $25,000 investment into an online business that produces stick figure drawings of cats (yes, really) is actually proving to be a moneymaker ... and the guy behind it can't keep up with the demand!

Steve Gadlin's appearance on the ABC show "Shark Tank" aired just this Friday. For the uninitiated ... entrepreneurs go on the show seeking investments from a team of business "sharks," such as Cuban.

The Dallas Mavericks owner pledged $25k to Gadlin in return for 33% of his business. Within 30 seconds of receiving Cuban's blessing, Gadlin tells TMZ, his site crashed.

Gadlin tells us, he's gotten over a thousand orders in the past few days, where before he averaged between 10-40 a week. Gadlin charges $9.95 for his customized cat drawings ... and they only cost him about $0.63 in materials.

He says he's going to take a week off from his real job as a web developer to catch up with the demand.

We talked to Mark Cuban, who said "[Steve] is the master of the bizarre, which means we will be great partners.  He comes up with ideas that sound crazy but make perfect business sense," adding, "I'm fired up to work him with."

0130_cat_sub2

ThatGuy

BEWARE!!! Do not click on the link.
It contains malicious code. I hope that the admins can track this person down through their email or ip. It is a indentity theft code.
Be Careful...Shame on this person!

TMZ Admin Please remove this POST!

Bill Leslie

maybe the internet really is powered by cats.

john

I want to get 250,000 dollars for 10% of the business of languages4free.com What would be wrong with that.? Oh, I don't own it.. lol

Lynnie

I have one! (#366) I laughed so hard over the little jingle on his website and kept going on about what a brilliant and hilarious idea it was, my boyfriend got me one for Christmas (this is the exact same reason he got me a South Butt fleece for my birthday.) Every time I look at my cat scribble (framed, hanging on my wall) I laugh for a solid minute. Totally worth it.

Jennifer

And now like Coke to Pepsi or Walgreens to CVS there is a dog drawing site http://www.wanttodrawuadog.com/ Jennifer

Ashton

It's got nothing on www.EricTheCircle.com

Woof!

Amanda

I love Shark Tank, it's a great reasource for entrepreneurs! I've had a few business ideas myself but am never sure if they're good enough to "make" it. I recently read a book titled "HOT or NOT: How to Know if Your Business Idea Will Fly or Fail", and it helped me pin point the areas of weakness in my idea so I could work on them before trying to find investors. If any of you other aspiring entrepreneurs out there would like some help, I'd definitely recommend checking this book out! http://www.amazon.ca/Hot-Prof-Sean-Evan-Wise/dp/1468024493/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330874015&sr=8-1

rob

The show is great. The cat drawing episode shows how much of a difference a great sales person can make. Mark Cuban brought into Steve more than the actual product. This show can teach entrepreneurs a ton of lessons. You can find some of these lessons here: http://www.bradaronson.com/2012/shark-tank/

Jim

Can you write a theme song for my campaign?

joefinn

here is praying that Mark Cuban's assenine comment about "gettting your guns out" for Bristol Palin deos not find the same success.
IDIOT

Traqqer

Cuban was very smart. He could see the potential in this "dumb idea" whereas someone like Kevin O'Leary could not. Maybe O'Leary is not as smart as this article indicates: http://sharktankreport.com/?p=94

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2