Cuba Gooding Sr.

I Owe My Career to Don Cornelius

2/4/2012 2:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0203_cuba_gooding_sr_video_ex
Don Cornelius isn't getting the credit he deserves for "creating" the biggest music stars of the 70s -- at least according to Cuba Gooding Senior ... who got his big break on "Soul Train."

Long before CG Jr. was shouting, "Show me the money" -- Gooding Sr. and his group, the Main Ingredient, were singing "Everybody Plays the Fool" on "Soul Train" in '73 (below).

Gooding tells us groups like The Temptations, The Stylistics, and Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes can also thank Cornelius for giving them major TV exposure. By the way, Cuba still has serious pipes (check the clip) ... and says, "What Don Cornelius decided to do was put us all on television. Regional at first, then local. Then the entire planet!"

Cornelius was found dead in his home on February 1 of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

0201_don_cornelius_footer_v2

Sincerity

Cuba Gooding, Sr. looks GREAT!!! He's right!!! Soul Train did help promote the careers of countless R&B performers. Sure there were other shows like American Bandstand and the Midnight Special but these show concentrated primarily on acts that were climbing the Pop and Rock charts. Not so much the R&B charts. Soul Train embraced the "BEST" that R&B had to offer. I even remember Elton John and David Bowie performing on this show. Occasionally members of the Rolling Stones would sit in with the musicians of an R&B act they really admired. It wasn't unusual for performers "across the pond" to appear on this show. At least they believed in giving credit where "CREDIT WAS DUE"!!!

Like Mother Like Daughter

Don Cornelius is a legend, and today's "media" is trying to pretend he never existed and not feature his life. What are they trying to hide? Soul Train was on for decades and really transformed and united people. Who is running the media

tlcmk

Wow! Jr. is the spitting image of Sr.

Like Mother Like Daughter

That's right give credit where credit is due, not take it and claim it as your own. I'm with you, unless you are born after 2006, Soul Train amd Don Cornelius touched everyone with a tv for over three decades, yet somehow an unknown sibling of a minor celebrity who overdosed is grabbing all the headlines,. I don't think so. NAH, I'M not buying it.

Mike

Gooding owes his career to him and Cornelius' wife owes all her bruises and black eyes to him.

static

No RCA gave you your big break when they signed you.

EDITA ON STEROIDS

NOBODY ever sang live on SOUL TRAIN so i cant really check out his vocals. dont believe me? google performances..even mariah carey herself didnt sing live

Casius

HEY HARVEY WHY THERE ARE SO MANY SPAMS IN HERE? THIS IS LIKE AN ADVERTISEMENT CHANNEL..HOW THE HELL DID YOU DO TO READ THE REAL MESSAGES?

Like Mother Like Daughter

That's right, SINCERITY, give credit where credit is due, not take it and claim it as your own. I'm with you, unless you are born after 2006, Soul Train amd Don Cornelius touched everyone with a tv for over three decades, yet somehow an unknown sibling of a minor celebrity who overdosed is grabbing all the headlines,. I don't think so. NAH, I'M not buying it.

End Horse Slaughter

DirtySouth

I appreciate his honesty. Mr. Gooding, Sr. is a walking encyclopedia of music history.

aquanet

Love that song!

Canadasux

"EPtF" was one of my favorite songs during high school...and Sr., did some excellent lip-syncing while "singing" that song on the clip. Jr., is the spitting image of dad.

wisey

That was a cool interview. Good stuff

bianca