Nick Carter

Nobody Told Me About

My Sister's Funeral

2/6/2012 1:10 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0206_nick_carter_ex
Nick Carter
tells TMZ ... he WANTED to attend his sister's funeral in NY this weekend, but his own family made it impossible for him to be there.

25-year-old Leslie Carter was laid to rest at a small ceremony in Upstate New York this weekend after a suspected prescription drug overdose. Several family members were present at the funeral, including Aaron Carter, but Nick was not.

Nick -- who was on the road performing at a concert at the time of the ceremony -- tells TMZ, “I wanted to be at my sister’s funeral, but my family has always had a complicated dynamic."

Nick would not get specific about the circumstances ... but sources close to the singer tell TMZ ... he feels family members went out of their way to make sure he was not included.

Nick adds, "There are so many emotions for me surrounding the loss of my sister. I am trying to stay healthy, positive, and focused.”

update_bar
1:25 PM PT: We called Nick's sister Ginger Carter for comment -- she replied, "That's not true," and immediately hung up on us.

EMM

The SISTER Ginger has posted a statement on her facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1383470092

Nick made a personal decision based upon his feelings and past family disagreements. He is choosing to grieve in his own way and his own time. While I was saddened that he could not attend the services, I do understand that Nick has worked very hard to change his life for the better. Nick was notified of the funeral arrangements and accommodations were made to prevent a media fiasco and allow Nick to attend unfortunately due to many factors he was not able to attend. We all ask that you not judge based on the media reports. There is much more involved in making this decision than what is read in a tabloid.
Please allow Nick as well as the rest of us to grieve privately. This is a very tragic loss to everyone and we are all dealing with it in our own way.

Ashley

Nick has a stepsister named Ginger from his Dad's first marriage and a stepmomther named Ginger from his Dad's third marriage.

GiGi

Y'all are tripping. Funerals are NOT for the dead, they are for the living. And maybe, for whatever reasons, Nick felt like he didn't owe the living anything.

collisionofcourse

The media hasn't mixed anything up. There are actually two Ginger Carters. Nick has a half sister (born January 16th 1972) from a prior relationship of his father's, named Ginger. His father's wife (born December 5th 1974), is also named Ginger. Here's a picture of the half sister http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u478/allthecarters/gcarter-1.jpg and one of the stepmother http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u478/allthecarters/images.jpg

Brenda

Someone please contact Intervention and have this family on the show. It is hard to see several family members on drugs; they need help before someone else dies. This is sad, because drugs kept him from the funeral not lack of information. He looks horrible and out-of-it. Too many young people are dying from drug overdose.

nimbus

LOL @TMZ - Ginger is NOT Nick's sister!!! She is his step mom!!!

Nicole16

First of all... Nick DOES have a sister names Ginger!! And a step mom named Ginger! And forget the fact that Leslie is a celebrity or the sister of celebrities.. She is a human being and the only reason you people care is because she is famous! She has a daughter who will never know her! Think about that before your blow this news feed up talking trash!!! None of you know the real
Story!!! So hop the F off!!!!

Brianne Chantal

Did Nick Carter fuel sister's drug addiction?

Chad

What a piece of crap! who misses their sisters funeral and makes an excuse for it. most would go through hell and high water to be there. I mean really he is deadbeat s***.

Nickkie

Nick and Carters also have sister and stepmother names Ginger. first Ginger has from the first marriage of his dad.She is older than Nick around 8 years and the last one is a new wives of his dad and other 2 younger step brother and sister too.Nick's Mama as second and he is a big brother... I am super and best big fans of Nick and the backstreetboys!!!

Greta

Sister said it wasn't true, but why would Nick lie about this? He was obviously grieving.... so sad to see him treated that way.

Greta

EMM shared the Facebook Post of Ginger, Nick's sister. In part, it said "Nick was notified of the funeral arrangements and accommodations were made to prevent a media fiasco..." What does that mean? Sounds like she is saying that they only told Nick so they could look better in the media than Nick. Am I missing something? So terrible for families to turn on each other. It is extraordinarily hurtful...

collisionofcourse

I think you misunderstood what she wrote. They kept it all hushed up so that the media didn't know where or when it was a didn't intrude.

collisionofcourse

And I also don't think his sister Ginger gives a **** about the media. Hell, up until this was posted hardly anyone even knew he had a sister named Ginger, so I really doubt that's the case.

Amanda

Nick does have a sister named Ginger AND a stepmom named Ginger. The sister is a half-sister from Robert's first marriage before he was married to the rest of the kids' mom, no relation to stepmom. Just a weird little fact I kept in my brain from my junior high days.

Anyway, whatever happened, my heart is seriously broken for this family. I lost a person I was in love with to an accidental drug overdose and it rips your world into pieces. My thoughts are with them.