Whitney Houston Funeral

Bobby Brown Bailed

Over Seating Dispute

2/18/2012 11:16 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Bobby Brown was asked to leave the funeral of Whitney Houston today.
Bobby Brown was asked to leave Whitney Houston's funeral today ... after he got into an argument with Whitney's family over whether or not he could bring nine people into the church with him ... TMZ has learned.

Brown was spotted going into the church today in Newark, NJ ... but was seen leaving shortly thereafter.

According to our sources, Brown was invited, plus two, but instead showed up with an entourage of nine people. We're told Bobby became upset when he found out they would not seat his whole party.

Our sources say Bobby wanted to sit with his daughter, Bobbi Kristina, but Whitney's family was not having it.

We're told Rev. Jesse Jackson tried to smooth things over ... but to no avail.

update_bar
Rev. Al Sharpton spoke of the incident with Bobby as he left the church, saying, "He showed nothing but love and respect for Whitney. I wish people would leave Bobby alone" (see video below).

Brown issued a statement later on, saying, "My children and I were invited to the funeral of my ex-wife Whitney Houston. We were seated by security and then subsequently asked to move on three separate occasions."

He continued, "I fail to understand why security treated my family this way and continue to ask us and no one else to move. Security then prevented me from attempting to see my daughter Bobbi-Kristina. In light of the events, I gave a kiss to the casket of my ex-wife and departed as I refused to create a scene."

0218_al_sharpton_video

jack morelli

ass

Sosa

Check your outlets beyond here and read. These where his and Whitney step kids. Not his Posse. This is family feuding. This is something bigger than this service which it shouldnt be. Sad funerals bring out the best and worst of us as we grieve. In trying to calm the conflict Bobby left. Rev Sharpton who was at the scene tweeted about this on Twitter already. Too bad couldnt wait til after the burial . #familydrama

Killahk

Whitney Houston's family and friends ALL say she had struggles before Bobby Brown. I think we forget she chose him as her husband....and she was much older and much more successful than he. She chose to stay almost two decades. Those were HER STEP-CHILDREN who likely called her mom for years. She divorced him...not his children. The "people" that weren't allowed up front were Bobbi Kristina's IMMEDIATE FAMILY. Those are her siblings and her dad. They should've been welcomed as much as extended family (cousins and celebrity friends). People want someone to blame. Bobby Brown shouldn't be it. He loved her. She loved him. That is all.

Nic

Bobby Brown ain't about ****. Don't know why she even married this loser, all he cares about is himself. The only good thing Whitney ever got from him was their daughter.

Dennis

I base all of my opinions on the reports of TMZ "sources". That's why I knew last week Bobby Brown was both "invited" and "banned" from the funeral.
This entire situation is far more complicated and the family dynamic alot more involved than you and I, casual readers of a pop-culture/gossip site.
Whitney Houston was a drug addict who couldn't get clean. Bobby Brown is a drug addict who *seems* to be clean. Bobbi Kristina is an adult and should be capable of making her own choices.

michael sacco

What a slimy slug.

whofuggincares

Say GOODBYE to tha hater, ERRRBODY WAVE *bye jerkface*

UPYOURS

I have five half siblings. I would never expect an invite to their father's funeral and even if invited, wouldn't go. I didn't go to my EX-husband's funeral, never considered it. We were married longer than WH and Bobby Brown. Brown was told two people WELL AHEAD of the funeral and it was more than gracious on the part of the Houston family to try to put aside their differences and allow him to be there. He took advantage by trying to bring nine people in. I don't care who they were. I was all for them allowing him to be there if his DAUGHTER wanted him there. For him to do what he did is unforgivable. Respect the wishes of the Houston family, if the invite said you can bring two people, do not bring nine and expect it to be ok.

Nyla

He couldn't suck it up and be there for his daughter today? Wow. Nice father.

whofuggincares

Bobby came up in there talm bout, "Why caint I bring 9 people up in herrrre?"

Cissy said, "Because it's MY PREROGATIVE, and you gots ta go."

kim T.

This was not a "posse", these were members of Bobby's family who were all very close to Whitney. It's a shame that they were treated like strangers by the Houston family. God be with them all, people mourn in different ways, but she did sing at their father's funeral. They loved Whitney.

pnkrose

I actually feel sorry for Bobby. Whitney's family should have let him go to support his daughter who I'm sure wanted him there. People always blame him for her drug abuse problems but I think that's B.S. She was an adult and could make her own decisions. I doubt he ever held a gun to her head and made her use drugs. Give the guy a break..

anon

Regardless of how yall feel about this man, he should have been allowed to sit with his daughter. Some of the people in his "entourage" were his children; Whitney's stepchildren. They probably are hurting too, it seems like she was good to those children. Should he have sent them on their way and stayed? They are his children, too. If he had done that some of these ignorant people would still be talking bad about him.

t

this is not about him today, its a day to celebrate Whitney's life...so Bobby can get back into his Crackmobile with his entourage and continue onto his next gig...RIP Whitney...

james

Perhaps they should have been seated if his entourage was Whitney's stepchildren and former in-laws. But if they had been close in past times, they should have received invitations themselves. It should have been up to Christina to determine who was invited.

If they needed extra room they could have asked Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to leave.