Aretha Franklin

Calls in Sick to Whitney's Funeral

But Performs Hours Later

2/19/2012 7:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at the Whitney Houston funeral service.
Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at Whitney Houston's funeral service in New Jersey yesterday afternoon ... but was well enough to perform at Radio City Music Hall that night.

Aretha said she had been suffering from leg spasms and wanted to rest up for her show, rather than travel for the funeral. She released a statement, saying in part, "heart goes out to my dear friend Cissy, Dionne, Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the family. May God keep them all."

The Queen of Soul dedicated a portion of her show to Whitney, and also to Nick Ashford, who passed away last August.

AALIYAH

Time ago. Aretha does not like female singer other.
She thinks she is superior to others, as the British Queen.
She thought she was pretty, she thought to myself.
In fact. Whitney's successful career more than her.
Whitney has Famous than her.
mean She fears that The other singers is louder than her

Mimi

Who knows? I wonder if Whitney's family asked Aretha "off" the funeral after her comments on the Today Show that Whitney was "ONE of the BETTER Singers, if NOT the best" when asked by Al Roker if Aretha's thought Whitney was the best singer of all times? She could have just said "Yes." Aretha has always seemed to be intimidated by the "new kids on the block", as though she is afraid to pass the torch on. I wonder if any of the young singers will claim Aretha as her mentor when Aretha's time comes?

Grace

unless you are friends with aretha or the houstons, you don't know crap about the situation. you don't know how close aretha and whitney really were. you don't know if the family asked aretha not to attend. you don't know what aretha's contract said for her performance at rcmh. you don't know if aretha needed the money for her own family. unless you are part of some inner circle with the franklins and/or the houstons, you don't know anything about these families. why don't you worry about your own families and leave the houstons and aretha alone? the bills have to get paid and contracts have to be honored, even if a celebrity friend dies.

Ryan Healey

If I were Franklin, I would fire my PR people immediately. There is no way she performed a full concert Friday night (with tribute numbers to Whitney), suddenly had “leg spasms” by noon Saturday yet was able to perform Saturday night and go to dinner with friends after looking great (as has been reported). BS. She was perfectly fine at noon Saturday and for some reason was told to not attend the funeral or bailed. Her comments on the Today show probably did anger someone in the family. If you are going to claim illness stops you from attending your Goddaughter’s funeral, not very bright to perform to concerts the night before and after. Shame on Aretha! If really ill, you arrive by wheelchair to Whitney’s’ funeral or on a stretcher. You don’t bail.

C'est La Vie

Gotta make that paper.

semmertine

No RESPECT for you ARETHA. You should had showed up. No excuse. No longer a fan.

Debbie Barnett

Okay...she didn't come...the service went on...we must remember Franklin is getting up in age and is sickly too. I think she did the right thing...plus I had heard that she is afraid of flying. That means she would have to fly in ad fly out to meet her concert..plus if you are musician like I am..sitting on the piano or organ for a long time gives knee problem...she is having leg spasm...let the Queen of Soul alone...please...that was her choice...I didn't see or hear Dionne Warwick nor Cissy stop the funeral.

nooneuknow

This is really sad and Pathetic of her...She is Whitneys Godmother??...for god sake...No matter what she said on 20/20 or any other show she claimed to LOVE Whitney..ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS! Now if the tables were turned...(which I personally wish were the case- bc I adore and Love Whitney and would give all these old fat singer away to have her back, problems and all) Whitney woulda been there for Her! SHAME shame on U Aretha!

nooneuknow

marywatkins

Being the Godmother, I thought that she would taken in consideration to be there for the family,it is kind of Heartless ,kind of prove that she is really a selfish person and into her self.
You know being at Whitney's funeral would have been a nice show of support, I don't know what else to say,except she showed up on other shows.

michael

Hmmmmm people say that she was the godmother but seems to me they really didn't have a close relationship as people think.

Noseyroseyification

Aretha Franklin is and will always be a sticking witch.I agree, she was not too sick to appear on talk shows about Whitney's passing before the funneral and I bet her fat, old rotten butt will be avaiable for more interviews after. So what if you could not perform, she did not even attend and she was supposed to be Whitney's Godmother. Aretha is a nasty witch. She probably did not go because Dionne was in chosen to be in charge and not her. Aretha was arrogant and rude when she was on the Wendy Williams show as well. People address her as Ms. Franklin please b----you lucky that anyone calls your name at all. And lets not even talk about your fake engagement. Any thing for 15 more minutes, right heifer, because you are truly washed up. You need to go sit down permanently and while your at it eat a salad because all of that weight is not from illness but then again they say you are what you eat. Right pig! It is despicable that youd did not attend the funneral.

may

I love aretha franklin and I saw her at Foxwoods. I do not agree she should have cancelled her show at radio city music hall. She is not Whitney Houston's godmother just a close family friend. Leave her alone......

starelite

Nothing surprises me when coming to Aretha F. behaviour. Take away the name Queen of Soul, and hand it over to someone else who deserves it. She could have showed up and don't perform, and left before the burial to get to her own stage show in-time. Her days are coming...soon!

courtney

Well obviously this may not be true but I read an article where people said Whitneys mom was upset over the interview Aretha gave on Friday and told her not to come. Even so nobody knows the truth and probably never will. Everybody is speaking out against her but there is obviously more to the story but they just want to forget it and move on.