Aretha Franklin

Calls in Sick to Whitney's Funeral

But Performs Hours Later

2/19/2012 7:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at the Whitney Houston funeral service.
Aretha Franklin canceled her scheduled appearance at Whitney Houston's funeral service in New Jersey yesterday afternoon ... but was well enough to perform at Radio City Music Hall that night.

Aretha said she had been suffering from leg spasms and wanted to rest up for her show, rather than travel for the funeral. She released a statement, saying in part, "heart goes out to my dear friend Cissy, Dionne, Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the family. May God keep them all."

The Queen of Soul dedicated a portion of her show to Whitney, and also to Nick Ashford, who passed away last August.

Dave

She probably felt she'd be too emotional to preform at the church. She's not obligated to do so either.

drake

What a selfish, self absorbed bitch.

Kelly

In my family skipping the funeral makes you dead to the rest of the family. Wonder if Cissy and Dionne are done with Aretha now.

Mark

Aretha will never be the "VOICE" and Aretha has never been atractive. She should have been at Whitey Funeral. I will never buy one record again from Aretha. Aretha thinks she has the best voice...She is crazy- Celine..Barbra,.Mariah are great but Whitney was the voice..She can do Aretha and Barbra all at one time...

janet

She did the right thing. The show must go on. They pulled the same crap with Clive Davis. He was suppose to cancel his Grammy party he gives every year because Houston who was trashed right up till she bellied up. Don't think so and he didn't. Houston is not gods gift to the world.

jana

IMHO Aretha was and has always been jealous of Whitney. She could never understand why her recordings were not as popular or as profitable as her "god daughter's". She needs to close her mouth...stop the lying and shoveling it full of food. Will she be next?

makeitstop

definitely more to this story

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Areatha is a fat ass, selfish, inconsistent, person who does what she wants regardless of who is left out in the cold by her actions which is why I have not liked her for years. I bet if they had a buffet at the furneral she would have should up early and stayed late.

get real

Hundreds of people Paid to see A.F at Radio city way in advance! This was her Goddaughter! I would have said, make a Breif appearence at the funeral out of respect, then helecopter it over to Radio City for your concert... Maybe, that would have been too much for her older Body. Dione went to make an Excuse for AF and said she was her God Mother but couldnt attend. She was cut off by someone in the middle of her sentence and said Ok no problem, and didnt say another word about AF. Who Knows? Bad Blood? Or a tired Old lady couldnt do both in one day!

Truth

ARETHA IS A KNOWN LIAR AND UNRELIABLE IN EVENTS WHERE SHE ISN'T PAID!!! SHE DID THE SAME TO HER FIANCE. REMEMBER HOW SHE SAID SHE WAS GONNA MARRY THE DUDE FEW MONTHS BACK AND TALKED IN DETAIL ABOUT HER WEDDING PLANS?? THEN SHE CANCELED 2 DAYS LATER... AND SHE DID THIS TO THE GUY BEFORE; IT WASNT THE FIRST TIME!!! ARETHA SAYS ONE THING OUTSIDE OF HER MOUTH AND DIFFERENT ON THE OTHER SIDE. 2-FACED FAT SLOB AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN. QUEEN OF FAILED WEIGHT WATCHERS. #TRUTH!!

Angela

First off no one said the world needed to stop because Whitney died, But Aretha was her "godmom" she could have postponed her concert, I'm sure her fans would have understood. Didn't she know she had a concert when she told Cissy she would do it, This was about being there for her good friend Cissy and her fat ass made it about her.

Mark

Aretha is a nasty bitch...She cant sing no more! Loo at her! The service for the VOICE was just amazing....

B. West

Not are you only Whitney's Godmother, but you as a friend should be there for support. I am completely sure Radio City would have either postponed the show or given refunds, you think no one would understand if you didn't show for your concert or postponed?....Though Whitney is not here in life, as a Godmother, you are supposed to be there, drop what you're doing and be there for the family NO MATTER WHAT. I think Dionne said it best, "I guess, oh well."...If I EVER turned my back on my Godchildren, I deserve to be slapped, because I made a promise to have their back till the day they die. SMFH@you.......

Des

Maybe she was reallyt having leg pains,but if she was truly a godmother she should have been there. Maybe the family was once close,but not anymore. I think it wasn't a sign of disrespect,but more like they weren't close as the media hyped it up to be. Just my thoughts. But then again who am I.

AlfredHaynes

Aretha Franklin is an unattractive, used up and washed out singer, who only thinks of herself.