Tupac's Mom

'ECSTATIC' About New Musical

3/4/2012 6:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Afeni Shakur
A new Broadway musical about Tupac Shakur just overcame one MASSIVE roadblock -- TMZ has learned, producers have obtained the approval of the rapper's notoriously protective mother ... who LOVES the show.

A rep for the Shakur family tells TMZ, producers personally gave Afeni Shakur a rough preview of "Holler If You Hear Me" -- the new musical by black theater legend Kenny Leon, based on Tupac's music.

According to the rep, Kenny wanted Afeni's approval before proceeding with the show -- and he GOT IT ... we're told Afeni was "ecstatic" and can't wait for the show to premiere.

The musical isn't about Tupac personally -- it's a fictional story about two childhood friends in a Midwestern industrial city and their extended families.

A Broadway premiere date hasn't been set -- but we're told Leon plans to start casting next week.

Tony the Giant

I thought I heard somebody say, they saw Tupac kicking it with his homies in Philadelphia, some time ago. Okay, he's under house arrest somewhere, and he needs somebody to bootleg his royalties to him.

Tony the Giant

But either way it goes, get paid young woman. I'd live off his royalties too. You know what I'm saying?

Billy Bob

A musical....about Tupac......and two young lovers in the hood.

Cricket

I don't have much interest in the show, but I think Afeni is just adorable. I met her twice and she is actually quite sweet.

Billy

Save The Candy, But Throw Away The Rapper! :)

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

She's hot.

Kenneth Ezzell

I hear the show will end in a BANG! BANG! BANG!

badazzbrina love

@ TMZ ! I felt the statement you said on your show about how will the show end ? and your answer was In a drive by DON'T you think that was a bit harsh toward his family or his fan ???

Nessa

His story should be told, he made the most beautiful and haunting music! A reflection of his environment a true artist, God bless the dead!

blkirish

His story should be told, he made beautiful and haunting music God bless the dead!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2