'American Idol' Contestant

Shovels B.S.

To Get Sympathy Vote

3/13/2012 12:36 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jermaine Jones
Jermaine Jones
-- the 6'8" gentle giant on "American Idol" -- has big problems with the truth, because he fabricated a sob story to "A.I." producers to win the hearts and minds of the American people.

"A.I." sources told TMZ ... last week, after appearing on the show ... Jermaine came to them and said his dad called him from out of the blue, claiming pops abandoned him and his mom 10 years ago.  Jermaine told producers he was extremely upset that his dad suddenly reappeared in his life now that he was famous and potentially rich. Jermaine said his dad was "a lousy father" and wanted nothing to do with him.

Well TMZ spoke with Jermaine's dad, Kevin Jones, who says the sob story is absurd  -- that he has had an ongoing relationship with the young man through the years and even had dinner with him on both Wednesday and Thursday night of last week.

Kevin also says his son was not telling the truth about getting a phone call from out of the blue -- Kevin says he was actually in the audience last week supporting his child.

We spoke with production people on "Idol" who tell us they are "shocked" Jermaine concocted the story and it seems like it was all a ploy to get some traction on the show.

We could not reach Jermaine for comment.

Little Ricky on "I Love Lucy"

'Memba Him?!

0110_welcome_ricky_memba_launchKeith Thibodeaux became famous for playing Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz's son, Little Ricky, on the classic '50s TV series "I Love Lucy." Guess what he looks like now!

Daylight Savings Time

STARS LOOKIN' SLEEPY!

0309_sleepy_launchAs the world springs their clocks forward an hour this week, check out which stars look like they are feelin' the effects of losing the extra snooze time!

Dueling Dresses

Who's More Stylish?

0313_welcome_dash_launch

Kendall Jenner raided her sister Kim Kardashian's closet last night for the premiere of "The Hunger Games" -- wearing a dress Kim wore back in 2010.

But who wore it better? See more fashionistas who've donned the same dress as somebody else above and vote for the more stylish star!

Donald Trump's Sons

Ignite War

Over Animal Butchery

0312_trump_hunting_launch_EX_v3
Donald Trump
's two sons went on a big game hunt in Africa, and the carnage they wrought has triggered outrage by wildlife enthusiasts.

Donald's sons -- Donald Jr. and Eric -- went on a hunting safari in Zimbabwe a year ago this month, and proudly showed off their trophy kills -- including an elephant, crocodile, kudu, civet cat and water buck.

In one shot, Donald Jr. is holding a dead elephant's tail in one hand and a knife which appears to have cut off the tail in another.

A wildlife enthusiast's website has just created a YouTube video of the slaughter expressing outrage.

As for Donald Trump, he tells TMZ, "My sons love hunting. They're hunters and they've become good at it.  I am not a believer in hunting and I'm surprised they like it."

Trump added, "I know that anything they did was 100% OK in terms of the hunting community."

"Bachelor" & "Bachelorette"

Couples Then & Now!

0313_welcome_bach2_launch

Ben Flajnik popped the question to Courtney Robertson on last night's season finale of "The Bachelor" -- but will they make it?

Check out all 24 couples from all the previous seasons of "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" and find out if any of them are still together.

"The Hunger Games"

Jennifer & Miley Show Skin

At Premiere!

0313_welcome_hunger_launch

The red carpet for the premiere of "The Hunger Games" was jam-packed with stars last night in L.A. -- where Jennifer Lawrence and Miley Cyrus showed some serious skin.

See their premiere looks, plus shots of Liam Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson, Elizabeth Banks and more!

Ace

They should disqualify him and bring back Jeremy.

Stricky

I agree with Karen, seems like the dad is the one who is lying. Maybe to make sure his son looks bad and won't win because of what he said publically? I believe Jermaine.

J

I do watch the show but if they let him stay I'm watching something else, as I said before shocked when they choose him. What is this show turning into anyway?

J

Hope they put him off, I still think he can't sing

Steve B.

Jermaine is a big whining baby with a deep voice that sounds rediculous. He's a sissy that should've been eliminated a long time ago!!

shelly

I'm sick of all the sob stories. JUST SHUT UP AND SING! There isn't one person out there who hasn't had to "overcome" something in life. Get over it. I'm not interested in who grew up in an orphanage or who lived out of his/her car. Either you have talent or you don't. Let's do away with the sob story. Don't the producers hear that roaring groan from America each time a contestant tells his/her tale of woe?

And oh yeah .... why should this guy's father be assumed to be telling the truth? Many an absent parent has shown up out of the blue when their offspring became a celebrity. I'm not ready to throw the kid under the bus.

Gerard

Why don't they visit an orthodontist and get their teeth straightened? They are such losers and their Dad is a s***bag for financing their depravity.

jemteku

Regarding the Trump guy hunting and mutilating animals. How dare you, you jerk? You can afford to eat anything you want at a fancy restaurant.... what a disgusting picture, killing wild animals for fun. DISGUSTING!

Mitzi400

Jermaine should not have been brought back on the show. His voice is not that good. There was another good singer that was sent home, and that person had a good voice.

Sandy

I agree there have been sob stories on AI before that may have given the contestant an edge. But what I remember about Jermaine is not how he sang, but how a grown man sobbed because he was cut. I felt he actually threw a fit and I really was disappointed that they brought him back, there were others that were more talented than him. Famous and potentially rich he hasn't earned that yet. I say vote him off! He won't get my vote, he never did.

tahoe

Don't believe anything people say now days . People are true liars to get ahead in this world. People have seen others get away with it and it's easier than working honestly for your living. Kick them to the curb. Sorry world we live in AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Andrea

I don't know if Jermaine is lying. Why would he do that and risk bing voted off. He really wanted this bad, so why don't we keep our opinions to ourselves until the real truth does come out.

shm1x

killing a gracious beutiful elephant. donald trumps sons are complete losers. gosh so sad...

brenbosco

#1. The idol dude who lied for sympathy, U a LOSER!
#2. Trump Boys, how bout I cut your balls off for fun?

Annette Hammond

Bump him off the show!!!!