« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Olympic Hero Kurt Angle

I'm Hunting for the Scammers

Who Stole $4k from My Mom

3/29/2012 5:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0328_kurt_angle_getty_ex
Former Team USA wrestling gold medalist Kurt Angle is on a mission to avenge his 80-year-old mother ... who sent $4,000 to heartless phone scammers after they convinced her a family member was in danger.

Angle tells TMZ ... his mother recently received a call from someone in the Domincan Republic who claimed her grandson was in a local jail and needed $4,000 STAT ... or the consequences would be severe.

Angle's mom, who lives in Pittsburgh, wired the cash and thought everything would be fine ... until she got another call the next day ... demanding an additional $4,000.

Mama Angle couldn't afford the payment ... so she contacted Kurt ... who had a feeling the whole thing was a scam and reached out to the family member who was supposedly in danger.

Turns out, the family member was FINE and hadn't been to the D.R. in over a year ... so Kurt contacted local authorities to get to the bottom of the situation.

According to the FBI, Kurt's mom is just one of MANY victims being targeted by international scammers who prey on the elderly.

Kurt tells us he has a feeling the people who duped his mom have an accomplice working near her home in Pittsburgh ... because they knew about his family ... and managed to find his mother's unlisted phone number.

"I'm gonna find the son of a bitch who did this to my mom," Angle tells us ... adding, "I don't want this happening to anyone else!"

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Karlotta

Well, good luck finding the scammers. When you wire money, it can be picked up anywhere in the world with the tracking # & can't be traced. That's why scammers ask you to wire the money. This "grandparent scam" has been around for years and if nothing else, hopefully what happened to his mother will alert others to the scam so they don't fall victim.

Uh

He should teach his Mom to hang up and NEVER buy anything advertised on TV, especially Informercials and "Shopping" channels.

Amanda B.

I work at a store that does wire transfer transactions, and this is the oldest scam in the book! It's a shame that whoever waited on her didn't pick up on the fact that this seemed shady and tried to talk her out of it. Unfortunately, we see this happen a lot.

beatrix

HAHAHAHA This is why old people should be be locked away in old folks home before they do crazy senile sh*t like this.

Leemeister

Go get them Kurt;Catch them then do The Angle Slam on that person,then put The Ankle ?lock on them until you hear that ankle break..lol

Sylvia

Sounds familiar...the same thing happened to my mother-in-law. They told her my son was arrested in Las Vegas and this" lawyer" needed $4500 to represent him. She was also told that my son did not want me contacted because I would be too upset. She tried to western union the money, but when she tried calling the fictitious number he gave her, it was a Long Island , NY number, that's when she became suspicious and called me. My son has never even been to Las Vegas...he was home sleeping. She was lucky that she was able to recover the money from Western Union because the scammer could not retrieve the money without the ID number. I reported the incident to my local Police dept.,but, they said that because nothing was actually missing, they couldn't do anything.....go figure!Good luck, Kurt....sorry that that happened to your mom.

sean

Its funny cause even though Kurt is getting old and off the roids, he is a killing machine, and quite unstable with all the drugs and crack cocaine he been doing.

I sure don't wanna be the scammer if Kurt gets to him lol.

Yaniv

mark fernandez.

he did it. runs a boiler room in montreal quebec. Hang around the west island of montreal a bit you will see. Everyone from around that area does that scam.
thats my tip !

Nelson

Go get them Kurt! Make them pay!

LISA

This happened to my Mom too. She received a call telling her that her Grandson was in a Canadian jail for DUI and if she did not send money, he would be sent away for a long time.

Luis

I feel terrible for the mom. It must have been devastating when she heard the scam artist's story and wanted to help right away. It's the normal reaction. I've read of similar cases reported at callercenter.com and it's sad that these scam artists easily take advantage of the love and concern people have for the other family members.

Luis

Bene

Checking the number at www.tellows.com can be pretty helpful.
You might find it there with some info. The site helped me indeed!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3