'Community' Creator APOLOGIZES

Releasing Voice Mail was

'Dumb, Unclassy, Inconsiderate'

4/3/2012 3:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0403_dan_harmon_getty_bn
"Community" creator Dan Harmon says he's a "selfish baby and a rude a**hole" for playing Chevy Chase's voice mail in public ... and has issued a full-fledged apology calling the move, "childish, self-obsessed, unaware, naive and unprofessional."

Harmon just posted a statement on his blog titled, "Not That It Helps, But:" ... in which he admits to playing the tape for an audience of 150 strangers at an L.A. comedy club ... because he thought it would be funny.

"I was airing my dirty laundry for a chuckle."

But Harmon says he deeply regrets his decision ... explaining, "The giant mistake I made was involving someone else [Chevy] in that game of Russian roulette, someone that didn’t have an opportunity to say 'yeah, hilarious, let’s do this.'"

Harmon continues, "That was a dumb, unclassy, inconsiderate move on my part. I’m very sorry it’s reflecting poorly on the show.

Harmon says he's been paying attention to all of the critics who have been bashing him on Twitter ... and says, "Thirty people a day calling me an a**hole makes me know and feel, in my heart, that I am an a**hole. I’m a real “customer is always right” kind of guy in that regard."

We reached out to Chevy to see if he accepts the apology -- so far, no word back.

Cartman

Nope, you're still blackballed. Get used to the idea of making PSA videos.

Mike

Translation: I had to say this to try to keep my job.

Jay W.

A few pay raises and all will be forgotten.

dman

Too late you talent-less hack!

pattycake

So....he's apologizing for releasing the voicemail but not a word about what he did to make Chase leave that voicemail? Sounds like he really is an a**hole.

CLINT

I like when an A-Hole admits to being an A-Hole. Now if Chevey can do the same, all would be right in the world.

Meggie24

Gotta give Dan props for manning up like that. The ball's in Chevy's court to do the same but my guess is he won't - he's too much of an egomaniac.

Majestik

Aw, yes, the keywords here...It's reflecting poorly on the show. So, yet again, "DAMAGE CONTROL" which is NEVER a sincere apology.

pancake

that show is ok and kind of funny cause of the cast but writing and plots suck most of the time

ExtraKetchup

Contrary to popular opinion, Community is a great show. Or at least it was in its first two seasons... this current one has been a little cartoon-y. Chevy Chase was pretty much spot-on in his rant.

I'm glad that Dan apologized. He is always the first to acknowledge that he can be a douchebag. He's so hard-nosed about stuff that I don't think he would bother apologizing if he didn't mean it. I hope Chevy accepts and sticks with the show.

KnuckleDragger

Please...you meant what you said; that's YOU. Apologizing is a backpedal strictly for damage control. Leave the apologetic aires to those that 'really' mean it!

tippy katz

easy to apologize AFTER releasing the voice mail. he knows what he's doing. he made CC look bad, now he's "sorry."

We're Listening

But did Harmon make a public apology directly to Chevy Chase? All I read here was that he was sorry that his bad behavior reflected poorly on the show and that he aired his dirty laundry w/ out consent from Chase. Apology to Chase would be good- without one, he doesn't smell any better.

Santo

If you ever watch a behind-the-scenes interview with the cast of Community, you'll hear a LOT of stories about Chevy cussing out individual cast members for no freakin' reason. He'll call Joel McHale a "f*** face" just because he can. Seriously, go watch the 2011 Paleyfest Community videos. Chevy cusses out EVERYBODY.

Chevy Chase: he can dish it out, but he can't take it.

Blue Lake

Dump the loser. Your show is better without him.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments