Mike Wallace

Dead at 93

4/8/2012 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Mike Wallace dies at 93.
Mike Wallace -- who spent 38 years with "60 Minutes" before retiring in 2006 -- has died, CBS News announced today. He was 93.

Bob Scheiffer, the host of "Face the Nation," announced his passing on CBS this morning, saying that Wallace died on Saturday night in New Haven, CT alongside his family.

Wallace had been in declining health in recent years.

His last interview for CBS was with retired baseball star Roger Clemens, which aired in January 2008.

Wallace was the first person hired by legendary CBS producer Don Hewitt when he was putting together the staff for "60 Minutes." He won 21 Emmy awards, five DuPont-Columbia journalism awards, and five Peabody awards.

Wallace never had a problem confronting his guests, perhaps best evidenced by two of his more famous interviews -- with Barbra Streisand in 1991 and Louis Farrakhan in 2005 (see below).

Blue

He was one of the great ones. RIP

Sherry

So sad to hear of his passing. He will be sorely missed. A real icon in the news business. RIP Mike Wallace.

your own luck

Mike Wallace was lucky to have been a journalist during a time when you didn't have to been so politically correct that you couldn't really ask the questions people really wanted to know. Now we get drivel.

CoconutScrimp

Farrakhan can preach!

keepinitrealincali

Take note TMZ journalist wannabes-- Mike Wallace was a REAL journalist. One of the best of a dying breed. RIP

Dennis Johnson

RIP Mike.

t

Loved the guy and his "I'm not going to take any crap from you" interview style. RIP.

Mike

R.I.P. Mike. Time to rest.

abowlofmilk

Farrakhan is 5 kinds of crazy shoved into a sack of nuts but he did a nice dance around the question rather nicely.

Jay W.

RIP Mike. You were indeed one of the great ones.

Keyser Söze

RIP, Mr Wallace.

cindy

Awesome Man, RIP Mr. Wallace. But really TMZ..Mike Wallace Dead at 93..how about Mike Wallace passes away at 93. Alittle respect here please.

Elizabeth

Hey TMZ, he died in New Canaan, CT, not New Haven, CT. If you are going to report it, at least make an effort to get it right.

MadCharles

I first learned of Mr Wallace after returning from Vietnam. What I learned was he and Mr. Cronkite were the cause of great pain. I can only imagine how many US soldiers died because of Mr. Wallace and Mr. Cronkite's agenda journalism.
The Trayvon killing thing reminds me of the hate I heard from America years after my return.

nan

I met him on Martha's Vineyard where he had a house..
He was ornery, suspicious and in your face, just like he was on tv.
Very interesting guy to talk to..
R.I.P. Mr Wallace