Joe Eszterhas

Mel Gibson Made My Son

Fear for His Life

4/13/2012 5:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0413_ eszterhas_videoJoe Eszterhas says Mel Gibson's behavior in Costa Rica was so threatening ... Eszterhas' son slept with a butcher knife under his bed because he was so afraid of what Mel might do.

Eszterhas, speaking with the "Today" show this morning, told Ann Curry that Mel said the "vilest and most threatening things" he's ever heard while Eszterhas and his family stayed with Mel in Costa Rica to work on a movie script, "The Maccabees."

Eszterhas went on to say that the staff at the house became so afraid of Mel ... they told their kids to go hide.

A portion of Mel's rants are on tape, as TMZ first reported, but Eszterhas is unsure if he will release them.

For his part, Gibson has denied most of the allegations, saying in a statement, "The great majority of the facts as well as the statements and actions attributed to me in [Eszterhas'] letter are utter fabrications."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Gretel

Mel does go off once in a while doesn't he? But Joe looks like a street person who was given a haircut and told to sit down for an interview. I was almost hyperventilating trying to take a deep breath for the poor thing. He seems to have some serious COPD or something going on.

Max

Hack writer whose script was rejected as garbage by the studio now trying to make some money by smearing others. "Look at me! Look at me!" Good luck getting more work genius. Mel's got issues, who doesn't know this? But he does put out the goods. Time for Eszerterhasbeen to slither back under his rock.

Jody

Mel Gibson has some serious anger issues. You couple that with alcohol and you have a very dangerous person on your hands. If these men were guests in Mel's house, Mel should really be ashamed of himself for treating them in this manner.

outofmyelement

Joe's BS is almost as bad as the movie Showgirls which he also wrote.

Anonymous

This guy needs to put up, or shut up. He claims to have tape, so produce it. If not, he needs to STFU.
I would not be surprised if either side were telling the truth: Eszterhas is a hack, and his mother had a history of mental illness; and Gibson is a known anti-Semite hothead.

Truth

MAN, DUDE BETTER JUST RELEASE THE DAMN TAPE ALREADY... HE WON'T LIVE TO HEAR IT. WHAT EMPHYESEMA SOUNDS LIKE. #TRUTH!!

Tigers Wood

Gibson has given more joy to the world than Israel.

Bri

Media has to stop airing recordings secretly made of people in private situations. My God if someone taped me when I was mad as hell and angry at my husband I'd look like a loon. I have a right to be imperfect and to keep it private.

christy

put up or shut up. simple.

David

Why come out with this out? What is he gaining from these allegations? Heresay. Bye

Kathy

Joe's script was rejected. Is there any other reason why he would be ranting on Mel? Please... give me a break... If he truly believed Mel was such 'slime' he should never have accepted the job. Man up Joe! Your behavior is more disgusting than any 'rant' from Mel! the fact that there are recordings implies premeditation on your part.

Connor

Of course, he was such a good parent that even though his son was terrified of Gibson and slept with a butcher knife under his pillow, he kept working with him and only now is saying this stuff after his script got rejected.

Sorry... Mel's had some crazy crap go on lately of his own doing, but this sounds fishy as hell.

Tellthetruth59

Deja vu... "I was in fear for my life." "Unsure if I will release the tapes." He's waiting for Mel to pay him for the tapes. Shake down #2 on the way. Mel should let him release the tapes. With all the heightened racial and religious tensions in the USA right now, thanks to our current administration, whatever Mel says will seem like child's play.

Fuck Celebrities

Hasn't this moron got anything better to do than lie about his lousy screenplay?

Jules

So, he and his family were in this horribly dangerous situation and rather than leave and get his kid away from it, he stays on and just lets the kid sleep with a knife. That makes a lot of sense.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments