Don Cornelius Autopsy Report

'I Don't Know How Long

I Can Take This'

4/24/2012 10:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Don Cornelius autopsy report
Don Cornelius was in an extreme amount of pain in the days before his death ... and minutes before he shot himself, Don phoned his son and told him, "I don't know how long I can take this" ... this according to the autopsy report obtained by TMZ.

According to the report, the "Soul Train" legend had been experiencing seizures as a result of an aneurysm he suffered 15 years ago.

But Don's health took a dramatic turn for the worse in the last 6 months of his life ... and he became "very depressed about his failing health."

Don called his son at 3:00 AM on February 1 ... and warned his son, "I don't know how long I can take this." Don's son told him he'd rush right over ... and Don said he'd leave the back door open.

When Don's son arrived to Cornelius' Los Angeles home, he detected an odor of smoke and saw Don seated in a chair with a pistol in his right hand.

Don's son called 911 ... and paramedics treated the 75-year-old for a bullet wound to his right temple.

He was transported to a nearby hospital ... where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Don's son told cops he had no idea his father even owned a gun.

0424_remembering_don_cornelius_footer

Tesla_Consulting

" Don's son told cops he had no idea his father even owned a gun. " Because Don Cornelius was a smart man.

superbadnerves1

I am very sad about losing Don I hope where he is there is no more pain but he wasstill a sell out

dierdre

To me this guy Don Cornelius was very weak...to outright kill youself....did anyone notice in the picture to the far right, he looks just like Bill Cosby.............

justsaying

You didn't think he owned a gun? He's an ex-cop. What did you think he owned, a water pistol?

KicksandGiggles

Isn't this a repeated story?? I could have sworn this verbatim story has already been run... Anyway... RIP DC

dierdre

this guy Don Corneluis was a very weak person to have killed himself....and did anyone else notice that in his picture on the far right, he looks just like Bill Cosby....Weird.............

kesha

I could never imagine the pain. RIP Don

YouDontSay

That is a horribly sad story that brought tears to my eyes. God bless him and I hope his son will be ok.

NYclouds

It is so sad to see people let the demon of depression get it's way... Something must be done about it, It's a silent killer...

By the way, I heard this company's looking for people if you need work...

www.USCorpWorkForce.com

bunny

If anyone is struggling with severe medical pain and are thinking of suicide as a way out, contact the Richmond Clinic in Portland, OR. My doctor helps sick people commit suicide. It's legal here.

squeakermama

Always thought highly of Don but knowingly to have your son find you dead is twisted and not right. I can imagine he is haunted by thoughts of being there earlier.

CriticXtreme

Rest in Paradise DC and thanks for the memories!

tucker

Very, very sad. I hope the poor man is finally at peace.

MP

How heartbreaking for Mr. Cornelius' family to have him die in that manner. It's a shame that he felt that was his only option and that there is no legal euthanasia in this country for people who want to die on their terms.

John Murphy

the son smelled smoke what did don use to kill himself...a musket?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments