Mel Gibson to Jay Leno

'I've Got a Little Bit of a Temper'

4/28/2012 7:17 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0428_mel_gibson_videoMel Gibson spoke out last night for the first time about his epic, profanity-laden, secretly-recorded rant against writer Joe Eszterhas ... and he actually had a bit of a sense of humor about the whole thing.

Gibson explained to Jay Leno on "The Tonight Show" ... that Eszterhas turned in a script for "The Maccabees" to Warner Bros. that was rejected and so Gibson felt his actions were "justified."

As for the 9-page letter Eszterhas wrote to Gibson, Mel joked, "If he put half as much time and effort and creativity and imagination into a screenplay, which he was supposed to write, as he did into that letter ... we wouldn't be having this conversation."

Finally, talking about the infamous tape, Mel joked, "Maybe you don't know this about me, but I've got a little bit of a temper."

Yes, Mel ... we know.

0418_mel_Large-Audio-Launch_V6

maya

Yes, the people love Mel Gibson, nice.

Maya 28

Tellthetruth59

@Mel - say whatever the hell you want in your home. I know I do and it's not always pretty. Go Mel!

Sincerity

Realistically, Hollywood is an "old boys" network and I wouldn't completely count Mel Gibson out due to an "unauthorized" recording of a somewhat heated exchange he had with a "DISGRUNTLED", "INCOMPETENT" contractor who failed to produce an "ACCEPTABLE WORK PRODUCT" in which he had ALREADY BEEN COMPENSATED FOR IN ADVANCE!!!

What I find the MOST INTERESTING is that Joe Eszterhaus HAS FAILED to offer an explanation of "WHY" BOTH Mel Gibson and Warner Brothers "REJECTED" his screenplay??? It's as "PLAIN AS DAY" that Joe Eszterhaus released this recording as a "SMOKE SCREEN" to cover up his OWN "PROFESSIONAL" FAILINGS!!! At this point, NONE OF HIS "ALLEGED" WITNESSES besides his family have come forward to support "ANY" of his more extreme allegations is because they know Joe Eszterhaus ISN'T TELLING "THE WHOLE TRUTH" and what he did ISN'T "ETHICAL" even according to Hollywood standards!!! Behind closed doors, HOLLYWOOD DOESN'T "ROLL IN POLITCAL CORRECTNESS" and nobody knows this more than Joe Eszterhaus. Nobody's going to "HOLD YOUR HAND & CUDDLE YOU" WHEN YOU "FAIL TO DELIVER"!!! Tempermental, passionate directors and producers ARE THE NORM and Joe Eszterhaus significantly wasted BOTH TIME & MONEY!!! He knew if he SCREWED UP THIS GIG -- HE WAS "DONE" AND CRUCIFYING MEL GIBSON was HIS ONLY OPTION TO PROLONG WHAT "LITTLE" RELEVANCE HE MAY HAVE HAD!!! IT DOESN'T TAKE A "ROCK SCIENTIST" TO FIGURE THAT MUCH OUT!!! A YEAR FROM NOW, WE'll SEE WHO WILL BE LEFT STANDING!!!

billybob

I can't believe, that this crazy excentrical rich dumbass is even trying to give any "explanation" for his totally unacceptable behavior.
I can tell you, he wouldn't yell at me like that, at least not longer than 2 seconds...

steve

He probably does not have any worse of a temper than most people. However, unlike everyone else, his tantrums seem to always get caught on tape and played to the rest of the world.

Sean

I ****ing love Mel, honest mother****er. **** the rest of hollywood.

Googie

I ♡ Mel

mcgoobersons

Mel is great..at least he is honest. Lets face it, anyone would be pissed if it happened to them. Everybody says stuff they shouldn't in the heat of the moment.

Posted by: http://www.mcgoobersons.com/2012/04/beautiful-women-and-hot-cars-daytona_28.html

annie2

I can't believe Ezsterhas had 14 months to write a script. Holy smokes. That means the other studio producing a Maccabees movie is miles ahead of Gibson/Warner production. That is HUGE fail in Hollywood. No wonder Gibson went off.

Tesla_Consulting

"Yes, Mel ... we know." Apparently TMZ knew it but not Joe Eszterhas.

Observant

I worked at the Gibson's house and Church for over 5 years and never saw Mr Gibson or any member of his family show anything but class and good manners. So he gets buzzed and talks a little crap - so does my wife and I don't see her name spread all over the news.

E

Gee, first it was that Esterhaz was crazy and everything he said was a total lie.

Now there is proof, and it's "I have a temper."

That abusive old has-been needs to get a clue.

Passion Of The Taint

All week long, Boss-man say,
Work Mexican work
Sing your song, earn your pay
Work Mexican work
Work, Mexican
Sweat, Mexican
Toil, Mexican
It's your lot in life
While people play in the sun all day
Work Mexican work

nick

So sick about hear about Mel how he hates Jew....I am a Jew myself and I don't like what he said BUT this is the USA not the middle east.....He has a right even if I dont believe what he says too say how he feels in his OWN house period.....

Swede

Mel is telling the truth. So many people are trying to take advantage of him! Go Mel!