President Obama

I Support Gay Marriage

5/9/2012 12:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050912_obama_gaymarriage_launch
For the first time in the history of the United States ... the sitting President has endorsed gay marriage.

In an interview with ABC News, President Barack Obama said, "I think same sex couples should be able to get married."

Obama explained, "I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married."

The statement comes just days after Vice President Joe Biden threw his support behind gay marriage ... which seemingly forced the President to address the issue he had skirted throughout his presidency.

The whole issue's making serious waves across the Internet -- check out some celebrity responses.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Ace

Moving Forward

Kelsey

Awesome news!

anony

Well, he just lost North Carolina....

St James III

Hayy MITT ROMNEY. You can forget about getting any attention for a couple week son. This is gonna get beat worst than a dead horse for a couple weeks. LOL!!

CaMeO

‎'Bout damn time. He's always been iffy on the matter

Mike Hawk

Sad day for America...

DaveT

No, Obama does not support gay marriage.
Obama doesn't even like you if you're gay, that's a fact.
But....he's aware there are a lot of really gullible sheep out there who will literally choose to vote for him based on his appearing to be open-minded and accepting.
Personally I don't see the problem with gay marriage, they deserve to have a nagging partner interrupt their football games as much as any of us.

Abe

With 30 U.S. states having banned gay marriage, Barack Obama just shot himself in the foot.
Start saying President Romney, folks, because now it is inevitable.
x

Christina

John Travolta can make an honest man of his lover now.

Keirie420

FANTASTIC - Now for medicinal marijuana

mommycoconut

For Obama it's called "evolving" If it were Romney, "flip flopping". Get used to saying President Romney folks...

travsmom

this just shows that president obama is NOT a christian man..

Dee Jamacek

Why didn't he sy this BEFORE 2012? He is trying to get as many votes as he can, he doesn't fool me.

mebrat24

doing what is right----------------

tom bridegroom

quezcotl

F' you Obama. from Sweden. Whats next, siblings and animals marriags as well? Please reinstate plogyami then, which the democrats took from the mormons, I want another wife. I don't care anymore. I dont want just my wife and my daughters are gonna have to deal with it. I want a 2nd wife. If marriage is whatever we want it to be, I want a 2nd wife. NOW. f'ing stupid democrats and their perverted ideologies.

ps! I don't hate gay people, my mother even know gay men irl which she is befriended with and one of them decorated my parents offices and one of their apartments. Gay people are, well a few of them, "nice". A gay person babysitted me and my sisters in my youth (... im 25 now) and he didnt molest me. So gay people arnt all pedophiles.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments