Mitchell Guist

Dies in Louisiana [Update]

5/14/2012 9:58 AM PDT UPDATED: 5/14/2012 4:11 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0514_swamp_people_mitchell_guist

update_bar
10:19 AM PDT --
Law enforcement sources tell us ... Mitchell was out in his boat along the Belle River ... when he "fell." Witnesses say he appeared to have been suffering from a seizure.

We're told another person on the boat returned the vessel to the dock and called 911. Emergency personnel responded to the scene and transported Mitchell to a nearby hospital ... but it was too late.

12:15 PM PDT -- A rep for the History Channel tells us, "We are extremely saddened to report that our friend and beloved member of the Swamp People family, Mitchell Guist, has passed away earlier today. Mitchell passed on the swamp, doing what he love."

4:11 PM PDT -- The 911 call, placed moments after Mitchell Guist fell, was just released to a local news station. According to the caller, Mitchell had a seizure then went into cardiac arrest.

051412_swamp_people_911_launch
0314_divider_graphic
Mitchell Guist
-- one of the bearded alligator-hunting brothers featured on the reality show "Swamp People" -- has died.

According to WBRZ.com, Mitchell was discovered at 9 AM in St. Martin Parish, Louisiana.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... someone tried to perform CPR on Guist ... but attempts to resuscitate the reality star were unsuccessful.

051412_guist_swamp_people_launch
Sources close to Mitchell tell us ... Guist had recently fallen ill ... but the nature of his illness is still unclear.

Story developing ...

0514_mitchell_guist_footer

Austin

I am upset that Mitchel died but i am glad htat he died in his favorite place.I also hope that his brother Glenn is okay and is able to keep going

Michele_29645

That is so sad! I love that show and I love those brothers. Wish I could live that kind of life, that would be a very nice way of living. RIP Mitchell

Shelleyd69

I am so sorry to hear about this. We watched Swamp People and the Guist brothers were the most interesting people on the show. Rest in peace Mitchell, and my deepest sympathies to his brother Glenn.

Carrie

How can some people be so rude? He is a person and he deserves respect . I personally dont care what he looked like how he lived or if he was a star. GOD made him just the same as he made all of us. Rest in peace and my heart goes out to his family and friends. May God bless all of you .

Carrie

My heart goes out to his family and friends. I just want to say that to me it doesnt matter what he looks like, or how he lived he is still a person. He is still somebody brother , son and friend. He was made by GOD just like the rest of us and he should be respected . All the rude comments need to stop. May he R.I.P.

Roz

R.I.P. Mitchell. you will be missed by all who enjoyed swamp people. Our prayers to your family, especially Glen.

Mio

Were those pictures above before or after pictures?

Ren

Aw! his poor brother! I know he is heart broken...they were best friends! :( I wonder if they ever got a chance to finish fixing theyr porch together... RIP!

staggs

prayer s going out,love the show

dakota

hey hope your doing good ill miss you off swamp pepol see ya brotha

Glenda Hicklin

My thoughts and prayers go out to Mitchell's brother Glenn and his Family. We are Big Fans of thier show and he will be sorely missed. We are so sorry for your lose of Mitchell may he Rest in Peace.

janice lewis

So sorry to hear about Mitchell! We live in Zwolle, La. and my husband and I are fans of both Glenn and Mitchell. Prayers going out to the family!! RIP Mitchell, you will be missed!

dakota

hey hope your doing good ill miss you off swamp pepol see ya brotha

Do

My husband and I have enjoyed watching Swamp People for several years now. We truly enjoyed watching Glen and Mitchell. They are truly down to earth, live off the earth people...God Bless Them. I know Glen will be hurting in his heart...but knowing that he passed in his beloved swamp and not in a sterilized hospital setting or suffering some horrible disease, gives his brother some peace. God Bless You!!!!

P.S. I also ate deer, squirrel, rabbit, turkey, frog and turtle growing up...how dare others say wrong about your lifestyle. Our prays are with you and your family, Glen.

nicole

These two brothers lived off their land, and that is hard to do in this day and age. It was wonderful to be able to show my children just how far things had come through the years. RIP Mitchell and Glenn our thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. I believe that it was such a gift for you to open your lives to the camera and shoe the world just how it should be done God Speed to you