« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Manny Pacquiao

'I'm NOT Against

Gay People'

5/16/2012 7:40 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0516_manny_pacquiao_02
Manny Pacquiao says he DOES NOT believe gay people should be put to death ... and blames the media for twisting his words about his stance on gay marriage.

Manny has been under fire ever since the National Conservative Examiner published an interview in which Pacquiao says gay marriage is against the will of God.

The Examiner article includes a reference to Leviticus 20:13 -- which says gays "must be put to death." But now the journalist who conducted the interview is admitting Pacquiao NEVER specifically referenced that bible verse.

Pacquiao has now released a statement saying, "I didn’t say that, that’s a lie ... I didn’t know that quote from Leviticus because I haven’t read the Book of Leviticus yet."

He continues, "I’m not against gay people ... I have a relative who is also gay. We can’t help it if they were born that way."

Still, Manny says he's AGAINST same-sex marriage -- "What I’m critical off [sic] are actions that violate the word of God. I only gave out my opinion that same sex marriage is against the law of God.”

0516_manny_fighting_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

@iAMTIMWILSON

I'm not against Gay people should never be followed by "I have a relative who is also gay"

hummm

wow kudos america, you just lost the only thing you have left... freedom of speech. no wonder we are falling down azzz first.

Irene Lopez

GAYS are SINNERS! Being gay is a SIN. Humans were created either male OR female and NOTHING other than that. Why cant people accept that?! Instead, people are trying to believe in something that is false and push something immoral to be moral. Well, IT IS NOT!

Cao

I love the way people want to retract or change their statements based on public outcry...if you said, MAN UP MANNY. The fact that he has a gay cousin actually hurts his argument particularly by declaring that gays "born that way". Hypocrite

Mike

To properly inform the little twert----Marriage was Created as a Business union between 2 people of the SAME SEX--With Jesus as the best Man---That is what traditional And the Origin of Marriage is---Nothing to do with the Straights------

Justathought

Where is it said that a person can be against the gay lifestyle and not have friends who are gay?? As long as you don't spread hate, an opinion is yours and yours alone. There are some who believe is it alright to be gay and others who do not, that is each persons right and everyone should respect that! But no one should ever slander another for their beliefs. I believe that is what goes on in the entertainment industry. You don't dare voice your belief against for the fear of damaging your career.

thomas

Sigh. So many homophobic people out there.

J.Rizz

I found it interesting that my Ethics/philosophy class 3 semesters ago when we hit the topic of the bible.I wonder how many people have come across the verses and sections where the bible says things like 'when a woman is on her period, she is viewed disgusting and anything she touches should be avoided by people' or better yet the one where 'if your child is action up, it's ok to stone them'.Don't get me wrong I acknowledge religion but if people were actually living their life fully by certain things the bible says gays,woman, etc this world would be chaos.Have we not seen what narrow mindedness has lead to KKK,segregation, woman being undermined, etc .Grow the hell up people

MMB

Personally, I feel all members of the LGBT community should get the same rights as everyone else...period, no questions asked! However, many people in our society still are from the "old school". Not everyone is going to gel with the idea. No amount of persuasion will change that. Manny is very religious, he lives his life that way. To get mad at people for having an opinion is wrong.

Superman

Nobody is born gay. Just like nobody is born a serial killer. Usually abuse as a child or a negligent/absent father leads people to homosexuality. And also in this day and age, people get off on doing taboo stuff. Homosexuality is a sin. But, it's not an unforgivable sin. Pray, repent, and receive mercy.

I love the Fundamentalist who believe traditional marriage is between a man and a woman. It amuses me that they know so little about their own religious history. Traditional marriage is about property rights of a man to his wives. Yes folks, traditional marriage is polygamy with monogamy only in recent history.

Eating Shellfish is a biblical "abomination" yet when was the last time you picketed the Red Lobster? You can't use the excuse that Jesus changed the law since even his is quoted as saying "I come NOT to change the law,"

Traditional marriage can be found in passages related to Sodom and Gomorrah, in which Lot offers his own daughters "to do what you will" instead of the guests being raped. It seems male rape was in opposition but female rape was a-ok.

puhleez

Someone needs to inform this guy that there is no god.

JDUB

I love how Christians pick this one issue to get all upset over, when there are so many other things in the bible that are apparently a sin.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

The Journalist should get into the ring with Manny and go a couple of rounds with no gloves just to call it even.

Warlo Yu

i really believe that there are Illuminatis here and all of them really opposed with manny, manny is speaking up for TRUTH, he uses his big influence for righteousness, can't you see? majority of BIG influence here in this world including artists of the americas, media, Lady Gaga, etc protest SEX, HOMOSEXUALITY, DRUGS, SINS, etc, this is nit healthy for us, i salute on manny, being a filipino on a critized country, speaks out and reaches for this people, NOT TO HATE THEM but TO HELP THEM, he wanted to convince that this homos are living in their lives with full of lies, sins immorality.