Ray Bradbury

Dies at 91

6/6/2012 5:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0606_ray_bradbury_01
Science fiction legend Ray Bradbury -- author of "Fahrenheit 451" and "Something Wicked this Way Comes" -- has died.

According to reports, Ray passed away this morning in L.A. He was 91.

Among Ray's other works -- "The Illustrated Man" and "The Martian Chronicles." Much of his work has been adapted to TV and film.

Ray's grandson told io9.com, "If I had to make any statement, it would be how much I love and miss him ... He was the biggest kid I know."

Ray famously criticized technology and the modern age, opposing his own work's conversion into e-books, saying, "We have too many cell phones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now."

Ray's wife passed away in 2003. He is survived by his 4 daughters and grandchildren.

anon

R.I.P
I really enjoyed your books.

Kelly

Love you Ray. Here's to you, a toast with Dandelion Wine.

Cricket

A talented man. I enjoyed those books. My condolences to his family and friends.

MountainRosie

I'll lift a glass of Dandelion Wine with you Kelly. I was greatly saddened to hear Ray passed. Peaceful journey to one of the great writers. Your stories brought me immense joy as well as so much for the millions that read them in the classroom.

Heather

RIP glad you chose to be a writer your books left a great touchstone for the rest of us!

It's Dave

Your wit and wisdom shall be sorely missed, Mr Bradbury.

Rhubino

He had a good long life. He outlived Asimov, Clarke, and Vonnegut, my other literary heroes when I was a youngin'. RIP.

Tortoise3

My son loves his books. He is 14 now, a wrote Mr. Bradbury a fan letter when he was 12. Mr. Bradbury answered, and they had lunches, met at the LA festival of books, etc. He showed the greatest kindness to a young man who has language difficulties and needed special encouragement to write. I was thankful to meet Mr. Bradbury. As a mom, I will always be grateful for his kindness and help.

notafan

this man was the best, its a sad day that this imaginative genious has moved to the next stage of our existence, can u imagine the next 10 years that are filled with the stories they found that he never published?they should let stephen king go through his office. that would be epic

Solaera

Aw. I got to meet him at a signing several years ago, he was so generous with his time. A young man in front of me was telling Mr. Bradbury that he lived in his LA neighborhood when he was little and that he still drove by his house when he was in the area and Mr. Bradbury replied "Why, I remember your folks. I still live there. I have always lived there. Don't just drive by next time, drop in." I thought that was funny, the idea of just dropping in on The Great Ray Bradbury. So sweet.

Team Arnold

I was just watching this parody last night about him...LOL

St James III

RIP nice long and fruitful life. I just got finished importing THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES TV Movie into my iTunes over the weekend too. Wow!

Kathy

I will miss Ray Bradbury very much.

Cooley

Wonderful author --without peer. There will never been another Fahrenheit 451 or Bradbury.

CloBird

Rest in peace. Bradbury lived a full life. His writings will live on.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments