Amber Portwood

Overdose Attempt

Drove Me to Prison

6/7/2012 7:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

060712_portwood_gma_splash
"Teen Mom" star Amber Portwood had become so depressed in her rehab program she tried to overdose on pills -- and that's what drove her to quit drug treatment entirely ... entering prison instead.

A shackled Amber spoke with "Good Morning America" ... claiming, "I had taken 30 Suboxone [a drug used to treat opioid addictions] within 3 days. The depression took over. I would take 4 or 5 at a time."

Amber said, "I felt like I'd rather do my time and get it over with, and make the best of a situation that's been handed to me." Amber was sentenced to five years earlier this week.

She added, "I'm not just going to sit. I'm going to do substance abuse classes. I'm going to get my GED."

Still doesn't make any sense -- Amber had been given the opportunity to receive out-patient drug treatment ... WITHOUT PRISON ... but she chose prison anyway.

Cheryl A.

She can't even OD correctly.

jjbythesea

Thought she was in rehab...don't they monitor the junkies?

Matt

It's a shame when someone can't even take their own life. Glad my tax dollars aren't paying for her vacation.

fozziebear

well at lest she knows that being on the outside, being responsible to get herself to a treatment program didn't work for her. while i think that she is in need of some massive therapy, she must be commended on the way she chose to deal with this last relapse. maybe while she is out of the normal everyday temptations she will be able to help herself and still be around for her daughter. no---i'm not in anyway a fan of her's but lately any and all "t.v. personalities who have been given every opportunity to straighten themselves out have a hard time doing it

BellaBoo

That situation wasn't "handed" to her... she chose that situation. Repeatedly.

Jay W.

This girl is afraid of the real world.

ShrinkWrap

Staying sober and being a parent both take a lot of hard work, dedication and consistancy. Rather than take responsibility for her life, she chose to take the cop out route. I have no sympathy for her.

VictorD

TMZ states "still doesn't make any sense"
She feels compelled to do this because she doesn't have any self-discipline, self-esteem, and self-awareness.

Mike44090

Even though I thik her decision was foolish, I can almost understand. If I was locked away for a period of time I'll bet I could quit smoking, something I can seem to do on my own no matter how many times I try.

SusanCoyote

Oh look, Miss Piggy is in prison!

elilan

That's what happens when ignorant, knocked-up, uneducated, Indiana white trash teenagers are made famous on Mtv for being ignorant, knocked-up, uneducated, Indiana white trash teenagers.

matt

I live in the same area and their is girls like that EVERYWHERE

Marie

It makes perfect sense. If she was doing out patient rehab, she would be tempted to use. In prison, she has no choice but to get clean.

HellOhDanya

I always knew that show was bad news bears. Those poor kids. When they grow up they get to read all this smut on the "Moms".
Too Sad.

melissa

she chose prison because thats how she feels in her own mind (trapped). Depressed people don't make rational decisions all the time as they are not capable at the time to see things clearly. Society needs to help her as she is not able to help herself at this time. Why is she getting 5 years? isn't that a little excessive? Whats with all the rude comments. Some people are just inheritantly just mean or they can't put they can't put themeselves in someone elses shoes worth a damn.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments