« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Lance Armstrong

Banned from Triathlons

Over Doping Allegations

6/13/2012 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0613_lance_armstrong_getty
Lance Armstrong has been BANNED from competing in triathlons ... effective immediately ... over new allegations that he participated in a massive doping conspiracy.

According to the Washington Post,  the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has smacked Armstrong with formal charges ... claiming Lance and 5 of his cycling associates conspired to use and distribute illegal substances from 1998 until 2011.

The USADA claims Armstrong has been using EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone, corticosteroids and masking agents.

The USADA also claims it collected blood samples from Armstrong in 2009 and 2010 that were “fully consistent with blood ma­nipu­la­tion including EPO use and/or blood transfusions.”

Now, Armstrong is firing back in a new statement .... claiming the allegations are "baseless, motivated by spite and advanced through testimony bought and paid for by promises of anonymity and immunity."

Armstrong continues, "I have never doped, and, unlike many of my accusers, I have competed as an endurance athlete for 25 years with no spike in performance, passed more than 500 drug tests and never failed one."

"That USADA ignores this fundamental distinction and charges me instead of the admitted dopers says far more about USADA, its lack of fairness and this vendetta than it does about my guilt or innocence."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Abe

Did Lance Armstrong use dope? YES
Do I care? NO
Why? He's only got one ball, and he taught Sheryl Crow a lesson.

tippy katz

something about his face... he has the half baked, doughy face of someone who has sh#t for integrity. I'm sure cheryl crow would agree lol

palermo

Too much smoke, got to be a fire ...

The Real Victim

These are some very serious allegations.

If they’re true …he’ll be lucky to get an asterisk placed next to his name for the races that he illegitimately won.

Byrd72

Ridiculous. He is targeted more than any other athlete and people just can't accept the fact that he is incredibly talented. Yes, it seems against all odds that he could have won all those races without doping, but all odds were against him to even live when he had brain, lung AND testicluar cancer! Let alone to come back and race like he did whether he was doped or not. If its proven, then okay. Otherwise, 500+ tests say he's innocent and just one of a kind.

Nat

He has tested positive previously but (I believe) as USADA has no legal authority he beat the failed tests with lawyers. There is no question he is 'guilty' - but guilty of what? As an ex sports medico friend of mine said once 'all you have to do on the TdeF is look at the calories expended vs the possible human intake - it is IMPOSSIBLE not to take stimulants and achieve the times they do'. In short, everyone has to do it so everyone does do it. LA has led a very charmed and legally protected career - it was always going to come crashing down as he was such a poster boy. I do feel it is unfair to single him out though, he is obviously talented, probably just a marginally better drug taker/masker than the next extremely talented cyclist/sportsperson who did and does the exact same thing.

Observer999

I guess all those eyewitnesses - all of them - must be lying. Yeah, that's the ticket.

aaron

Believing Armstrong is not a cheat is like believing in the Easter Bunny. It’s fun and we wish it were possible but we all know the truth.

Kelly

TMZ, the poll needs buttons for Not Guilty, Guilty, and Guilty as H*ll.

Scott Levy

He's a s***bag who constantly cheated on his wife and left her to be with Sheryl Crow. I wouldn't put anything past this son of a bitch!

Mac

If he was doping do you really think he'd do it in front of witnesses? I don't. I think there are a lot of jealous bikers that want to bring him down. Stay strong Lance.

DaveT

I'm trying really hard to care about this...hold up...whoah...maybe a little....nope, don't care at all.

Mr. Clean

Let's say he cheated - like everyone else - and he still won. Armstrong = winner
Let's say he didn't - and he still won. Armstrong = winner.
Let the guy do his tri's and leave 'em the eff alone. The fact he's still competitive in a tri is amazing in and of itself. That is a thousand times harder than the couch surfing we do.

DuhDeeDum

I am in the cycling industry and I've kept my eye on Lance thru out the years. I know what the body is capable of naturally as well as what the body is capable enhanced via drugs, blood doping, etc. All I got to say is that Lance had testicular cancer which basically gave him a free pass to blood dope for years, I can only imagine the techniques he's learned over the years to allow him to continue his super human ability!

Janass