Rodney King

Drinking, Smoking Weed

Before Drowning

6/17/2012 10:27 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0617_getty_rodney_kingRodney King's fiancée is telling friends Rodney had been drinking all day Saturday ... and had smoked weed in the hours leading up to his death ... sources close to King tell TMZ.

According to our sources, King's fiancée, Cynthia Kelley, is telling friends King was at the house all day drinking, and he smoked marijuana at some point, before she went to bed at 2:00 AM.

We're told Kelley says she next saw King at around 5:00 AM when she was awoken by him screaming in the backyard. Our sources say Kelley found King naked, banging on the glass, and she called out to him, "What's wrong, Rodney?"

Kelley is telling friends she then went to grab her phone when she heard a big splash. She then went to the backyard and discovered him in the bottom of the pool and called police.

Paramedics attempted to revive King, but were unsuccessful.

Haha

You people are sickening and are very rude, this man was beaten by the police and no one deserves to be beaten. .... Wow he gets beat by "several" officers and you say "a dead piece of crap, you have a lot of nerve and I'm sure if your haten on a dead man you have NO life loser......

Miara

I knew his Fiancee's story did not ring true at all when I first read it. What is she covering up?

YUsoSTUPID

I don't think anything sounds fishy about his wife's story. We are only hearing the basic facts. We don't know why he was locked out in the first place. He was a convicted woman beater; maybe there was an altercation between the two and he was locked out of fear? Or, maybe he was out partying, came home, didn't have his house keys and his wife didn't know it was him banging on the door at first? That would explain why she wanted to find her phone first, just in case it was an intruder. I just don't think that her actions necessarily point to suspicion.

traveller

Were skittles and sweet tea involved?

darisa

i personally think there is some bad weed out there. the face eater supposedly smoked weed, he took his clothes off too. there was an article last week about a woman, who did drugs [smoked weed] and the police tazed her & she died. She took her clothes off & was violent towards her son. I'll bet she was a weed smoker. There was a story today in pgh, two people fighting over weed. I don't smoke the stuff but true weed smokers aren't really violent. Too mellowed out to fight. i'm really starting to wonder if this stuff is laced with some pcp or those bath salts. It might sound far-fetched but truth is stranger than fiction at times.

Azura

For starters, can somebody PLEASE find out how deep Rodney's pool was? I mean, if it was 4 ft deep, she had no excuse not to help, am-i-right?

mami420

everyone knows black people cant swim!

ThisandThat1025

I see someone fall in a pool, particularly a LOVED one, my initial instinct is NOT to call the police, it is to rush to their aid and attempt to get them OUT of the pool. If they are not BREATHING when I get them out and I run for the phone. Something is so off here. This is human instinct, it's nature. Water and unconsciousness equals DROWNING... If she is not handicapped herself (meaning wheelchair-bound or unable to move her legs or arms or MISSING them), she has no excuse for not taking action. Isn't there a Good Samaritan law at least? Didn't she have some responsibility to attempt to come to his aid? Disgusting.

Cheryl Anne Harper

I think Rodney accomplished something, he wrote a book and he was determined to be forgiving of injustices that happened to him. He was obviously a good-natured man.

anonymous

give this dude mass money and what good has he done! shame shame

Lynda Jones-owings

Rodney King did have demons like everyone who has placed a comment. However, he does not deserve to be judged by any of you. Put yourself in his shoes; because this could be you or your child.

Isani9

My Condolence to the Rodney King family, the passing, of Rodney King "

thestupid

This doesnt surprise me.

just me

Karma sucks..TMZ sucks..

sheigh

I'm afraid that our tendency to celebrate and sympathize with criminals in our messed up society led to his slow and inconsistent "recovery." He let the media define him as a victim and never shook that title. Maybe if he had accepted responsibility and the media had left him alone to soul-search, he would have been out long ago making the world a better place. Instead he dies a sad, pathetic way, not making much of a positive difference to society.