Kevin Costner Sued

You'll NEVER

Take This Beach!

6/19/2012 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0619_kevin_costner_tmz
File this under: "The Problems of VERY Rich People."

Kevin Costner has been dragged into a nasty legal war with his neighbor in Carpinteria, CA -- an upscale beach community near Santa Barbara.

Long story short -- the neighbor, Rick Grimm, claims he bought a SICK beach property back in 2009 with KILLER views of the ocean and coastline ... and it happens to be located right behind Costner's pad.

0619_patio_costner_sub_3
Problem is ... the neighbor claims Costner is paranoid about his privacy and planted a bunch of trees and shrubs to make sure nobody from Grimm's property can see into his home ... trees which are now blocking Grimm's once-spectacular view.

Grimm filed a lawsuit, obtained by SBView.com, claiming he TRIED to play nice -- sending multiple requests to Kevin and his wife to trim the hedges -- but the Costners blew him off ... and planted even TALLER trees.

Grimm says Costner is contractually bound to NOT plant trees which obstruct Grimm's view ... but Kevin doesn't care. According to the suit, Kevin made it clear to Rick's people he would not "back down" and would "do everything in his power to secure his privacy."

Grimm is now asking a judge to force Kevin to chop down his trees ... PLUS he wants at least $150,000 in damages for loss of enjoyment and $500k for damage to his property value if the trees don't come down.

A rep for Costner had no comment.

Frankie from San Diego

Leave Kevin alone! The nerve of people. Trying to protect his privacy & have some privacy. If he owns the property he should be able to plant what he wants. Sad how society has changed to hate on someones success to be Sue happy. He probably knew when he bought the property living next to a celebrity they would want to protect they're privacy. The amount he's charging is just plain ignorant. Seems like the neighbor just wants some $$$. If you don't like it you should just move idiot!
Team Costner

brent

Hey Mike you are an idiot... Dude has every right to have an unobstructed view which I am sure is in the deeds of the surrounding properties. Maybe you shouldn't talk about what you have no knowledge of. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Celebrities think they can do whatever the hell they want, but guess what, you can't. Hope the dude sticks it to the ego maniac.

Pimpcessa

Ok, so it would certainly suck to have your view obstructed, and it would also suck to know that people could just peer down into your windows, especially if you're a huge star whose pictures are worth money.

But, my question would be who lived there first, and what did the property look like at the time the newer resident moved in? Meaning, was this guys house just recently built and Costner decided to put up some privacy foliage? Or did the guy live there first and Costner recently moved in and decided that he needed to put them in?

I mean, it doesn't look like those trees are new. And it looks like he could just trim the tops a bit, and still have his view. I can't see Costners house thru the trees, and it looks like just the tops of the trees are blocking the view.

Comprimise guys!!

MadCharles

Costner's lucky his neighbor wasn't Alex Baldwin.

popculturepr

my PR agency will represent this guy pro bono! Have 'em email me ASAP ...geez, some nerve! darren@popculturepr.com

Truth

NO ONE IS SAYING COSTNER CANT PLANT TREES. JUST DONT PLANT 200 FT TALL REDWOODS. BESIDES, TREES DONT BLOCK PAPS IN HELICOPTERS OR AIRCRAFT. #TRUTH!!

Tammy

I find it hard to believe that Kevin would sign a contract that says he can't plant trees on his own property and, given this has been going on for awhile, I'm sure Kevn has looked at his contract.

charley

I have had the same run in with a neigbor of mine...bough the house behind me and then tried to take me to court to have my 100 year old pine tree cut down so he can have a view...told him the tree was there before he bought the property and it will be there long aftfter...he took me to court and lost...not only did he lose...I had the fool idiot pay my lawyers too.....everyone wants privacy...everyone needs privacy...idiot should heave taken that into consideration before he bought the place. Kevin will win this one, he is entitled to do what he wants to his property......Like I told My Neighbor "PHK U"

SSinOC

I'm sure Costner wouldn't care if the guy wasn't renting out his place as a vacation rental? I wouldn't want random people partying and looking down into my place either knowing a celebrity lived there. Grimm may go as far as name dropping that it's Costner's place to get more rent and to fill the place?

PattyK

He's no different than the other "Stars"........the rules and laws DO NOT apply to them. Costner needs to do the right thing and get over himself!

lynn

I'm just a regular person but several years ago, I had privacy issues with a nosy neighbor. What did I do? Planted trees and shrubs. I'm certainly glad there was no rules telling me what I could or couldn't plant on my own property.

ManiacalZebra

If Costner was so concerned about his privacy, why didn't he buy a property where the nearest neighbors were miles away?

Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like a frivolous lawsuit. Contractually bound to not plant trees? It's his property

Canadasux

TMZ, you must be trying to hype this story, because ANYBODY! with neighbors - even in a trailer park - can have problems like these two neighbors are having. But, the monetary damages, here, might be high, that's all.

Thomas Jefferson

It's tough call as I wouldn't want people looking in on my house. Maybe Costner should have thought to buy that house behind him.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments