Rodney King's Family

We Need HELP

with Funeral Costs

6/25/2012 10:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0625_rodney_king_getty
Rodney King was not a wealthy man when he died ... and now his family is asking the public for donations so they can pay for a proper burial for the infamous LAPD beating victim.

Despite the fact King scored a $3.8 million settlement from the City of L.A. after the 1992 incident, King's family tells TMZ ... there is basically no money left over to pay for his funeral costs, which are expected to run north of $22k.

The family has now issued a statement, through their rep, Kali Bowyer, asking people to contribute to a memorial fund established "for those who wish to contribute to the King family."

King's 3 adult daughters, along with other family members, are desperately trying to come up with the cash ... but Bowyer tells us, "They need the money."

King is scheduled to be laid to rest on June 30.

As far as the mystery surrounding Rodney's death, the family says, "[We are] looking forward to a swift investigation into the death of our father, as well as we put our faith in the authorities responsible for handling the matter."

0619_rodney_king_remembering_footer

BillTampaBay

You have got to be kidding! He squanders a fortune and they expect the public to foot the bill for a $22,000.00 dollar funeral? No, it was not a misprint $22,000.00. WTF If I squander 3+mill and die penniless just put me in cardboard and cremate me!

Straight Talkin Texan

My dad died a little over a year ago, and his funeral expenses were less than $10 k. These people sounds like idiots!

BillTampaBay

ABB made an interesting proposition (post 136). "Donate the body to UCLA>" I go a step further.... They can study the effects of a good ass wupping and use it as training data for the LAPD.

buzz kill

This about the time when all Rodney's friends and fans act like ****roaches when you turn on the light. RUN and HIDE

Josh

wow - ever notice how certain people and their families seem to have a high rate of gold diggers? Even trying to capitalize on a death??? I see a common theme here. Look at MJ family.

NTL

Call Jackson and Sharpton for money.

diane

Cremate and flush. Problem solved.

HMichaelH

This is so typical "Victim Mentality!" Where did they get the idea to have a $22K funeral? Why do they think anyone other then the family should pay for the funeral? Are they so stupid they can't figure out there is a cheaper way to dispose of a body? $22K,,,,,you gotta be kidding! I hope no one contributes to this insanity.

Zura

Guess his family want him to go with style. Sell his house. You get some money out of it. Don't be asking the public for money.

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

I liked Rodney but he didn't give a rats fat ass about his funeral cost so why should we. Besides, I wouldn't contribute a fking red cent to those blood sucking deadbeats trying to capitalize off of his notoriety. Cremate him for $700 and be done with it.

oleman

gee, maybe fly the flags at half mast too? so over this

RobWasRight

HELL F***ING NO! The King Don't need no GOLD CASKET

SallyChi

am I missing something here? Who owned the house where he died....if Rodney owned it, the family can get an equity line of credit....which I assume he left the house to somebody! in his will....and for a man to blow $3Mill, I have no sympathy. no $$ from me.

Tony Martellini

You can bury that worthless POS, in a used litter box. A drug addled, woman beater, alchy, shouldn't get squat! He got 3.8 million and blew it all on booze, coke, and gambling. SCREW HIM

SallyChi

And besides funerals don't cost$22K....they can a nice burial for about $5K.