Singer Frank Ocean

My First Love Was a Man

7/4/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0704_frank_ocean_getty
Kanye West collaborator Frank Ocean -- from the rap group Odd Future -- has just declared he is gay ... or bisexual.

The revelation makes him the first hip hop star to publicly address a sexual attraction to men.

Ocean -- who collaborated with Kanye and Jay-Z on "Watch the Throne" -- posted the long, dense message on his Tumblr this morning, writing, "Four summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too."

"We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile.”

“Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with.”

He added, “I don't have any secrets I need kept anymore ... I feel like a free man.”

There has been a lot of intolerance in the hip hop world toward gays and bisexuals, so Frank's disclosure has enormous importance. It will be a bellwether for other stars who are considering coming out.

Frank's Odd Future band mate Tyler the Creator tweeted after Frank posted the message, writing, "My Big Brother Finally F***ing Did That. Proud Of That N***a Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever."

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

MiscavigesBitch

It was me.
Yeeeeeaaaah!

Truth

Today, in the daily gay indoctrination. You are supposed to be impressed, or something.

Jack

Guess there's even more fish in his ocean. Never heard of him but whatever floats his boat.

kake79

Right on. I hope the rap community embraces him.

But... since this is a gossip site, I have to wonder aloud... It makes me wonder if Frank isn't a "test case" to see what the reaction will be so if it is accepting and positive, Kanye can follow him out of the closet. As for Kanye and Kim? Hey, every girl needs a gay BFF, doesn't she? It could be why they've been so close for so long yet Kim still dated other men. Anyway... just pure speculation on my part.

stonechops

Awesome!

Lauren

Hey Frank Ocean, good for you for being true to yourself. I'd rather someone be honest then use women to hide behind.

and pleeeease tap all of the energy you feel about love into your lyrics. rap's degrading of women is exhaustingly played out.

mrs.teel

Good for him! It's good to see someone being honest and true to themselves!

Helen

He's not a rapper, he's a lyricist and singer. He doesn't rap at all TMZ.

Fat Mike

Maybe Dre will come out now

povski

But he's not a rapper.

Bridget

Good for him. That is especially brave considering the industry he is in. I hope it all works out well.

barnyardhumor

Media Take Out goes a bit further. Interesting.

Uncle Tom

Now that's true "hip hop" ...

Bridget

To the people that are addressing the fact that he is not a rapper. It seems that whenever TMZ has a black person in the music industry that is not incredibly famous...they refer to them as a rapper, lol.

I think the last person they did that to was T-Boz

LCS27

These rappers will do whatever they can to grab attention, sicne they have no talent. Next time he'l say he already put a watermelon in his butt

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments