Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes

Divorce NOT

Over Scientology

7/5/2012 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0705_tom_cruise_katie_holmes_01
Katie Holmes
may say her decision to divorce Tom Cruise is over Scientology, but it's NOT ... so say sources directly connected to Tom.

Our sources tell us ... they believe Katie and her team are leaking false stories to the media by maintaining she was trying to save Suri from the grips of Scientology, and that's why she left Tom.

As one well-connected Tom source put it, "She [Katie] was totally committed to Scientology. She had enthusiasm for it and would voluntarily and gladly participate in it when Tom was off shooting movies."

The source adds, "This is not a fight over religion. It's being used as a way to hurt Tom."

And on the subject of hurting Tom, as we first reported, sources connected with the actor tell us Katie's people have made it difficult for him to speak with Suri by phone, but he's talked to her every day. He has no immediate plans to see his daughter because he's leaving today or tomorrow to shoot his new movie in the Rockies.

Tom's lawyers have not filed any docs in court -- yet -- to establish his custodial rights. If that happens, we're told they will file in New York, although it's pretty clear they will ask to have the case sent to California.

And, as for what Tom's people say the divorce is really about ... they won't say yet, but tell us it's coming.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Jen

Whatever, I'm sure the CULT had nothing to do with it....

Tesla_Consulting

He kept her out because he knew she was nervous. Alec Baldwin or Paris Hilton' Vegas guy; 2 picz.

GM

It's really hard for a total control freak like Cruise to suddenly find he no longer has total control

Julie

I suspect this is a plant from Tom's crew. I'm not buying it. Me -- and it seems the general public -- are Team Katie on this one. Hopefully Katie and her daughter can escape the grips of the dangerous cult and live a somewhat normal life.

Wombatant

Scientology goes into spin control. They're a bit late.

notta

Whatever. I love his movies, but he is a nut-ball in real life.

There's a problem here

Never in my life, never once did I think I'd welcome top list Kardashian news. This Tom and Katie crap is getting old and it hasn't even begun. I hope Kim K gets pregnant soon, or her mother is diagnosed with AIDS or something.

BarrysConspiracyWorld

She "voluntarily" participated? Wow!

Jan

Harvey ALWAYS takes the MAN'S side. The CULT is in full attack force mode. I choose to believe the X-CULT followers words of how the CULT works. From their experience a person HAD to show strong support or be PUNISHED. I also remember what TOM and the CULT did to Nicole.

EMP BITE ME

Well i think its over cause she thinks Tom is a nutcase now ,and she knows she can do better,also she is doing it for her child safety.

Annechantal

You're late again, TMZ. I already reported this news on JULY 3RD.

Cousin of Katie Holmes reveals the REAL reason behind TomKat split

Timmy Boy

So whats the reason?

Mikey

I believe homosexuality is involved.

Kari

I think #3, GM, about covered it. Tom's lost control. Of course she was enthusiastic--that happens in a cult like setting. Tom's 3 for 3--marriages and divorces. Might want to think about his role in the 3 divorces.

Mikey

I'm betting Cruise runs into the arms of Travolta before the end of the year.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments