Ernest Borgnine

Dead at 95

7/8/2012 2:17 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0708_Ernest-Borgnine_getty
Ernest Borgnine, the legendary actor perhaps best known for his role in the movie "Marty," passed away today at the age of 95.

His longtime spokesman, Harry Flynn, told The Associated Press that Borgnine died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his family by his side.

Borgnine won an Oscar for "Marty" in 1955 and also starred in movies such as "From Here to Eternity" and "Bad Day at Black Rock."

On the small screen, Borgnine played Quinton McHale in the 1960s show "McHale's Navy."

Borgnine served a total of 10 years in the United States Navy, the last four coming after he re-enlisted when the U.S. entered World War II.

0709_ernest_borgnine_remembering_footer

Tracker

test

nuffsaid

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads his white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. He is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch him until at length he hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: “There, he is gone!”

“Gone where?”

Gone from my sight. That is all. He is just as large in mast and hull and spar as he was when he left my side and he is just as able to bear the load of living freight to his destined port.

His diminished size is in me, not in him. And just at the moment when someone at my side says: “There, he is gone!” There are other eyes watching him coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: “Here he comes!”

And that is dying.
~~Henry Van Dyke

jayman419

They've left out his most important role, weapons officer of Airwolf.

keepinitrealincali

Oh no-- not another legend gone! I was a small kid when I watched McHale's Navy, forgot that he was on Airwolf, too. I saw him in a made for TV movie on the Hallmark Channel about 5-6 years ago. He played the surrogate grandpa to a little girl. It was such a heartwarming story and it was good to see him, as he was part of my childhood (as Andy Griffith and many other class acts now gone were). 95-- Damn! We all can only hope to be so lucky to live to be that many years young. RIP Ernest. My sincerest condolences to his family.

ManiacalZebra

Oh no! He came here year after year to be a clown in the Circus Parade.

Butterfly

THANK YOU MR. BORGNINE for your incredible talent for all the parts you played but, especially, for your dedication to our beloved country. You, and all the others who left us were part of an era which no longer exists in Hollywood or, anywhere else. You will be missed. Sleep Well, Mr. Borgnine, Sleep Well.

Maria

I loved watching you on McHale's Navy when I was a kid. A good long life, well done!!

MP

Despite his old age, that is just so heartbreaking. I feel so sad for his wife, Tova. Both of them are such beloved Americans. He will be missed.

Scoutmann

Goodbye, Commander McHale.

Spencer B in MD

RIP Ernest - You had a good long life and left a great legacy. We will miss you here. Say "hello" to leadbottom for us.

Carl

Almost 100 comments so far and only one is negative, and that one is obviously someone just being a Troll. I wonder how many, if any, other threads on TMZ have so few negative comments?

Namor

ROGO!! GET THEM THROUGH!!!

South Beach

McHale's Navy, another fond childhood memory. RIP Ernest, and thank you.

MrHarrybawls2010

Why couldn't it have been Alan Thicke??

Barbara

I am so old I remember seeing for the 1st time in Marty. He was one of the great actors.