James Holmes Massacre

First Lawsuit

7/24/2012 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

James Holmes mug shotOne of the victims in the James Holmes mass murder spree has lawyered up and plans to file a lawsuit ... because he feels the theater dropped the ball in a very fatal way.

Torrence Brown, Jr. was in Century 16 Theater when Holmes let loose.  One of Brown's best friends, A.J. Boik, was shot in the chest and died.  Brown, who was not physically injured, claims to now suffer from extreme trauma.

0723_torrence_lawsuit_james_holmes_article
Brown has hired attorney Donald Karpel to rep him.  Karpel tells TMZ ... he is targeting 3 defendants.

1.  The theater.  Karpel claims it was negligent for the theater to have an emergency door in the front that was not alarmed or guarded.  It's widely believed Holmes entered the theater with a ticket,  propped the emergency door open from inside, went to his car and returned with guns.

cetury_16_theater_getty
2.  Holmes' doctors.  Karpel says it appears Holmes was on several medications -- prescribed by one or more doctors --  at the time of the shooting and he believes the docs did not properly monitor Holmes.

3.  Warner Bros.  Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action.  The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie.  Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."

Christy

What could the theater have done, really? People often exit these doors when the movie is over so alarms would be a nuisance. I hope they don't take this theater down. He could have came through the front and caused just as much damage while killing staff first then made his way in. He's just looking to cash out, plain and simple. Typical if you ask me. I'm not negating his trauma but this is all about money and publicity I guarantee.

AmyG

Wow. "Mr. Torrence Brown" is quite the aspiring oppurtunist! I do believe he has just spit on the suffering of so many with this bogus lawsuit. I am actually taken aback to the point of having difficulty finding the right words to truly articulate my disgust. You, Mr. Brown, have been blessed with the great fortune of walking out of that theatre ALIVE. Maybe I can agree that it would be a good idea for the theatre to have alarms on the Emergency Exits. But the doctors? Warner Brothers? And this attorney who is representing Mr. Brown is equally as sickening. I never comment on stories. This is my first time. I can honestly say that this is above and beyond my definition of the word DISTURBING.

chzbrgrmachne

Donald Karpel is an ambulance chaser from Beverly Hills, CA. He has no office in Colorado. He smelled the money from 900 miles away and couldn't wait to get the paperwork into the courts.

Gigi

It is a slap in the face to all those who died. He survived and they didn't. That should be reward enough. But no, he wants to survive AND become rich over this. Any money that is awarded over this should only go to the families of victims who were injured or killed.

Fat Mike

Wow, I'm sorry he lost his friend, but this guy's a parasite. Before even reading who he'd sue, I knew it wasn't going to be the killer, but whoever he could get the most money out of. Warner Bros is in no way responsible for what happened.

jenny

Three years ago I was attacked by a german shepard. The guy who's dog attacked me attempted to leave the scene twice while I lay on the pavement bleeding. I had never sued before in my life and i'm in my 30's. I got an attorney a month later and I was actually physically injured and badly. This guy's buddy is dead and 58 people were shot and this a s s hat has the audacity to sue. If I were on that jury (if it went that far) I would give him zero for being a despicable pos. Seriously f this guy.

angel

This guy is no friend of AJ who died.Trying to profit from his and all the others death is really low.It takes all kinds to make a bad situation even worse.

AmyG

Mr. Brown, how do you have such intimate knowledge of Mr. Holmes having doctors and being on meds? Hhhmmmmm.....according to Mr. Brown- "Mr. Holmes appeared to be on several medications" I thought the theatre was dark...Mr. Brown, you do not "appear" to be nearly as traumatized as the many other victims of this repulsive tragedy. You and your attorney are now victimizing other innocent entities and/or persons! Shame on you!!! And for what reason? Because while others are unimagineably traumatized by this devestation- you are already salivating at the bling you are going to buy at the expense of ill suited suits! While you are at it- why don't you also sue the ATM that spit out the $20 that facilitated you purchasing a ticket and popcorn??? DARNIT! I just gave this punk another idea...DARNIT!

Kiwigirl

WHAT WERE CHILDREN DOING AT A VIOLENT MOVIE AT MIDNIGHT?
I DONT THINK CHILDREN SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALLOWED INTO THAT MOVIE, ESPECIALLY AT THAT TIME OF DAY.

GLaDOS

Leave it to a black guy to try and make money out of this whole ordeal.
Hope it gets tossed out of court. No theater would have been able to stop this. I've never been to a theater that had alarmed emergency exits or guards at them. What a f***ing idiot.

twinsies

Unfortunately, all 3 will probably settle. Instead, they should go after Holmes and his family, but no deep pockets so I guess they feel what can they get out of them. They are forgetting to sue the people who sold him the guns. Enough already, why can't we have a situation where a victim sues the actual person who committed the crime.

bearforce1

Absurd. Only in America.

bearforce1

Torrence Brown, Jr is a tool.

dyls_E

its bad that the only way to get compensation is to go after people who had nothing to do with it, but have money. it was one person, and i doubt he has anything to give to anyone.

angel

This guy is no friend of AJ's.Trying to profit off his death and he didn't even get hurt..pathetic.The lawyer is just as bad I guess there was a shortage of ambulances to chase.This tragedy is bad enough without guys like this making it worse.To the families and real friends of the victims my heart goes out to you all.