James Holmes Massacre

First Lawsuit

7/24/2012 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

James Holmes mug shotOne of the victims in the James Holmes mass murder spree has lawyered up and plans to file a lawsuit ... because he feels the theater dropped the ball in a very fatal way.

Torrence Brown, Jr. was in Century 16 Theater when Holmes let loose.  One of Brown's best friends, A.J. Boik, was shot in the chest and died.  Brown, who was not physically injured, claims to now suffer from extreme trauma.

0723_torrence_lawsuit_james_holmes_article
Brown has hired attorney Donald Karpel to rep him.  Karpel tells TMZ ... he is targeting 3 defendants.

1.  The theater.  Karpel claims it was negligent for the theater to have an emergency door in the front that was not alarmed or guarded.  It's widely believed Holmes entered the theater with a ticket,  propped the emergency door open from inside, went to his car and returned with guns.

cetury_16_theater_getty
2.  Holmes' doctors.  Karpel says it appears Holmes was on several medications -- prescribed by one or more doctors --  at the time of the shooting and he believes the docs did not properly monitor Holmes.

3.  Warner Bros.  Karpel says "Dark Knight Rises" was particularly violent and Holmes mimicked some of the action.  The attorney says theater goers were helpless because they thought the shooter was part of the movie.  Karpel tells TMZ, "Somebody has to be responsible for the rampant violence that is shown today."

MJ

wow if you try to sue like mister Brown is going to do you are an idiot. mr Torrence Brown is as big of a freak as James Holmes.

Onward

Wow! He's suffering from extreme trauma but four days after the shooting has somehow managed to pull himself together enough to find a lawyer, hire him, and made plans to file suit? What a money-grubbing SOB! How about thanking your lucky stars that you weren't injured and, out of compassion for the victims, not try to make a quick buck off this tragedy? You and your attorney are what's wrong with the legal system in this country.

Cujeaux

Please tell me this whiner wasn't there to see the Dark Knight! Sh*t happens sometimes that can't be blamed on the whole world. Deal with it.

erok60

Typical American way I WILL SUE YOUR ASS. why? because i can!!!!! oh you farted in my general direction well then il have to sue you

Jeff Portlance

I think the theater needs to be Responsible for the fact that the Emergency Exit was held open for him and nobody saw fit to investigate or maybe no alarm goes off when it's opened. But thats it. I do hope folks are not just looking to cash in from this tragedy. Thats a whole other crime be committed. I know Denver has the death penalty so that means people will now support this guy for another 10,15,20 years to the tune of $50,000-$100,000 a year until his death. Thats a whole otherr crime buts thats a system crime.

Thom

Torrence Brown, Jr. could be Obama's son, let's give him his chance at some free money.

TMP

Are you f'ing kidding me. It didn't take long for someone to try to take advantage of a tragic situation. Things like this are not EXPECTED EVENTS. I'm so tired of seeing people try to blame OTHER people for the actions of someone else. Violent movies have been around for decades... when are people going to stop blaming movies and music? The theater wasn't expected to know that someone would do something like this....

Jeff Portlance

Everybody should be able to legally buy 4 guns in the matter of 90 days..... Can you sense my sarcasm... If there is a background check done and a gun is bought I would think the federal gov't would get a hint that maybe something is amiss with this fellow... Maybe they need to do their own background checks..

Onward

The more I think about this, the more steamed I get. I think I'll sue Torrence Brown, Jr.; after all, if he and people like him hadn't bought tickets for the movie, the theater wouldn't have been showing it, and Warner Brothers wouldn't have made it. Therefore, it is Torrence Brown, Jr.'s fault so he's liable.

How can he be trying to make a fast buck when so many people were killed or injured?

High Desert

Nothing like greed!!!

KathyS

And of course he is black..always looking for that handout..free money..what an a** Why not sue Holmes or his parents??

Randy

As soon as this happened, I mean within minutes, hundreds of lawyers rushed to the scene with lawsuit papers in hand, stepping over each other in order to get to the survivors and even the dead victims famalies.This will be the first of probably a few hundred such lawsuits filed because of this. The lawyers will go after everybodt.I mean everybody they can think of that may be attached to this. The theatre owners, the movie's producers, the city,and now, Holmes doctors. Probably even the university he was at .Everybody.Wait for it. This guy didn't even get hurt, but suffered "Trauma" Please.The ambulance chasers are going to have a field day.

Liz

There was LIVES lost in this tragedy and this money hungry little punk wants some money?? Why sue the theatre if he feels it was Holmes that propped the door? Not the theatre. Why sue the Dr's? If they have to monitor everyone on meds, dont you think that would be an impossible job? And seriously, he is sueing the movie in which HE paid to watch? He should be sued for being stupid. This is plain disgusting!

tab

I told my husband the day after the shooting happened, that a black person would be the first to file suit. I am not a racist, I'm a realist..look above before you hate my comment..was I right or worng?? The sad thing is..instead of counting your blessing that your alive..your trying to count dollars.

Bob

Torrence Brown Jr, who wasn't even hurt, is just a oppotunistic douchebag trying to cash in on a tragedy.