Sherman Hemsley

Dead

7/24/2012 1:57 PM PDT UPDATED: 7/24/2012 2:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Sherman Hemsley has died.
update_bar
1:58 PM PT --
Sources tell us ... Hemsley was discovered by his nurse ... who initially believed the actor was asleep. Once she realized something was wrong, she called for help.

0314_divider_graphic
Sherman Hemsley
, the actor who made the character George Jefferson famous in "The Jeffersons," has died, El Paso cops tell TMZ.

Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas.

Sources tell us ... it appears Hemsley died from natural causes.

Sherman Hemsley's body being removed from his El Paso, Texas home.
Hemsley, who was 74, became famous during his appearances on "All in the Family."  The spin-off, "The Jeffersons" was a monster hit.  He also starred in the TV show, "Amen."  He was also a professional singer and even released the single in 1989, "Ain't that A Kick in the Head."

Hemsley had no wife and no kids. It's unclear how he died.

0724_sherman_hemsley_footer

Joe Lucido

He was on funny guy, I loved George Jefferson, Mr. Hemsley was a perfect fit for that role. He never failed to deliver the goods. Rest in peace Mr. Hemsley I just wished he was in more comedy's. He made the world laugh, and God knows we all could use more of that.

SABoy

RIP Sherman...through simple, non-politicized entertainment, "George Jefferson", "Weezy" "Tom" and "Marilyn?" did more to improve race relations in our country than the current divider-in-chief Obama could ever hope to achieve.

kim

REST IN PEACE SHERMAN... HE WAS A BLAST, SOOOO FUNNY A WAY TO ESCAPE WHEN I WAS A KID.... GEORGE JEFFERSON YOU WILL BE MISSED....

Sylk Blak

Addicted to TMZ!!!

SHANIQUIE CLARKE

R.I.P MR.HEMSLEY . WE ALL MISS YOU

Wowda Melms

Let's see: ****ney was a singin' boon, Sherman was a showbiz ******. Two down - can we get another overpaid ****** "afflete" to take its dirt nap next?

Michele

74 is too young to die these days. Too bad he had no kids. He will still be with us via Re-runs of Archie, The Jeffersons, & Amen-etc.. 'Weezie' died a few years ago also.

Leo

No Deluxe apartment for you, you're going to tha Supreme apartment in the sky. R.I.P.

Martha

Today is a sad day....

Sincerity

Sherman Hemsley made me laugh out loud more times than I can count. He was a "natural" comedian with a very serious edginess. I ABSOLUTELY "LOVED" HIS PERFORMANCES!!! ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS!!! REST IN PEACE, SHERMAN!!!

Jon Shaft

RIP

Sherman Hemsley enriched the lives of many, he left us a throve of good shows we can atleast enjoy as we remember him and the other cast.

Trina

Sherman is moving on up to Heaven.He finally got a piece of the sky. Thank you for sharing your talents with us. R.I.P. Sherman. :^(

Trina

Sherman is moving on up to Heaven.He finally has a piece off the Sky. R.I.P. Sherman. Thanks for sharing your talent.

Teresa Sawyer

You brought laughter and joy to everyone who had the pleasure of watching you! RIP, we love you, George Jefferson!

Teresa Sawyer

You will be greatly missed. God Bless You, George Jefferson, I never missed an episode!