Shooting Victim's Brother

James Holmes Deserves

DEATH PENALTY

7/31/2012 3:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0731_rebecca-wingo_james_holmes_2
James Holmes should be sentenced to death ... after suffering in prison for many, many years ... so says the brother of one of the victims in the Colorado massacre.

TMZ spoke with Steven Hernandez ... whose sister Rebecca Wingo was shot and killed, along with 11 other people, during the midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" earlier this month.

32-year-old Wingo leaves behind two young daughters.

Prosecutors say they will consider pursuing the death penalty for Holmes -- but will not make a decision until they speak with the families of the victims.

Hernandez has already made up his mind -- explaining, "My sister Rebecca was killed in the theater. My mother is bereft, my wife is distraught and I am heartsick and angry."

"Allow the justice system to punish this murderer. I want to see him sentenced to death and I hope he sits in jail many years waiting to die."

Holmes has been charged with 142 counts for the shooting -- including 24 counts of 1st degree murder.

0731_steven_sub_asset

diamondsaredumb

I feel so increadibly awful for these families. You can tell by this young man's eyes how much pain he is in. I hope that he will be able to have some happiness in his life again soon, as a family member of a shooting victim I know it's hard, but it does get better.

DN

I think it's time we amend the Constitution and allow beatings by vicitims' families of convicted murderers (see: cruel and unusual punishment). Perhaps it could be a deterrence if you knew you could get life in prison without a chance for parole -- and the family of the person you murdered can come and punch you several times. I think it could be quite satisfying if the families lay some physical pain on this ***hole.

Toilethead

Even if he got it chances are he'd die of old age before he was ever executed.

really! really?

Is anyone surprised by this reaction? The victims and families are in anguish right now. Prayers and thoughts for each one of them to find peace and closure.

Sofie

Doesn't matter if this guy was mentally ill. He stole lives he deserves the same fate.

sld

My heart goes out to the victims and the families of this horrific event!
I do have to wonder why some have chosen to express themselves via various social and televised media, though.
I'm particularly concerned about some frivolous lawsuits that have been filed and will surely get thrown out.
Don't you realize that you are tainting the jury pool?

LDB

JH needs to get the sh*t beat out of him

sharon

Karma

karen

i am soooo very sorry that these families & loved ones have to go through the most pain that a human can possibly feel. just a note: CAN SOMEBODY TELL THAT ASS JAMES HOLMES THAT THE JOKER NEVER,EVER HAD ORANGE/RED HAIR!!!!!! IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN GREENISH/YELLOW....doesn't even do it right...

zolopher

Because maybe he wants to keep things calm?

DOUGLAS

MORE TMZ S*** PASTING HER PHOTO WITH THE ONE THAT MURDERED HER.

TMZ S***BAGS.

Stephanie

I think he should be in jail for the rest of his life because death penalty is just to of an easy fast thing I think he should suffer for what he did !

david saint

hard as this is to accept, you cant let the anger rule you...Let the people in charge worry about him, and worry about maintaining for your family...i for one have no doubt he will be found guilty, and the two options ahead of him arent very pleasing..life in prison with some guy named bubba as a cell mate, or in prison awaiting his death...

Carnegie

I really wish you guys would STOP posting that monsters picture with every freakin story! We know what a hideous demon he is...stop glorifying it and giving him fame...honor and publish the victims not the piece of **** that did it

Pittslady

Death for death......what do you think he did not know he would be MURDERING innocent unaware movie goers? on top of that CHILDREN!